• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Can not import Keywords exported from am existing Catalogue to a new Catalogue

Status
Not open for further replies.

m.palis

Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic 12.1
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
Hello all.

I am trying to import keyword exported from a lightroom catalog to a new catalog on the same Lightroom Classic but I am getting the error

"only text files encoted with ASCII or Unicode UTF-8 are supported when importing keywords"

Do note that I can re-import the keywords to the old catalog (the same catalog from where I exported the keywords)

Any suggestion will be appreciated

Did you edit the keyword list file after it was exported and if so what tool did you use to edit it and what did you re-save it as?

No I did not editi it. That is why it is very strange.

Editing the list can only import it to the same catalog. Not to a different one. I try this.

A Keyword Export creates a .TXT file. To import this KW list it should be a simple selection in the Menu of the other catalog, and choose the exported .TXT file.
2023-01-07 10_15_21-.jpg

Note: Re-importing a KW list into the same Catalog (from which it was exported) will duplicate all the KWs in the Catalog, possibly creating a real mess! Not to be advised!

Note: Re-importing a KW list into the same Catalog (from which it was exported) will duplicate all the KWs in the Catalog
No it won't - unless you edit it in a way that specifically causes duplication. But editing keyword lists externally can cause a real mess, so it's always best to test the import and ensure you have a catalogue backup.

"only text files encoted with ASCII or Unicode UTF-8 are supported when importing keywords"
I suspect you're trying to import the wrong file, and / or you have edited it and not checked the encoding.

It is a very strange behaviour. I export the Keywords from catalog A and import the keyword (no editing just the keyword file) to Catalog b on the same computer and it is not working

If I export keyords from catalog B end import to Cataloq B it is working fine. Even if I do changes on the file. I did nt experiment with Catalog A because it is my main catalog although in the past I try it. (re-organise keywords).

Perhaps if you post the exported file that is not working to drop box or Google Drive and give us the link, someone here can check it out.

No it won't - unless you edit it in a way that specifically causes duplication.
Thanks John. I stand corrected and learnt a bit more about LrC intricacies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back