• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Feature comparison: LR 6.14, LR Classic and LR Cloud

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobMc

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
6.x
Lightroom Version Number
LR 6.14
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I started using LR with the pre-release Windows Beta in 2006 and stopped updates with 6.14 which I still use today. I am starting to consider moving to the subscription version.
What is the best source for feature comparison between LR 6.14, LR Classic and Lightroom Cloud?

These blogs may help. First, the changes from Lr6 to Classic:
Apparently this blog was last updated in Januaryof 2021 (2 years old) so doesn't include more recent enhancement features

Apparently this blog was last updated in January of 2021 (2 years old) so doesn't include more recent enhancement features
I shall add to the list to update. It just highlights that even more enhancements have come to Lightroom since Lr6 (Masking being a major of course)

Thank you for your help. For me, the two biggest takeaways are:

1) Classic supports a local photo printer out of LR using full resolution RAW and Cloud does not support the local printer but substitutes upload of JPGs (Not full RAW data) to ether http://www.whcc.com or http://www.printique.com . I wonder if Adobe gets any income off those prints?

2) Classic supports Virtual Copies without taking up more disk space, where Cloud requires duplicate files for each copy so each copy uses more of Adobes Cloud space, driving the users Cloud use up and potentially more money for Adobe. To take away an existing feature just to drive up $’s is shameful. It also takes away Stacking!

Again, Thank you of your quick response and helpful information.

BobMc

@BobMc

Cloud has the ability to group images; but it is not called stacking. It is functionally the same.

In terms of printing, I believe you are missing the point. When Classic sends the image to the print driver it is sending a bitmap image, based on having previously looked at the cache system in Classic it likely is a jpeg image. The key is the bit level and the compression level in jpeg determines if there is any loss information.
Based on WHCC website and others all suggest sending the JPEG image at max depth and zero loss, I would assume Lr Cloud is doing the same; which is the effectively the same thing as Classic.

Tim

1) Classic supports a local photo printer out of LR using full resolution RAW and Cloud does not support the local printer but substitutes upload of JPGs (Not full RAW data) to ether http://www.whcc.com or http://www.printique.com . I wonder if Adobe gets any income off those prints?

Better to say, Classic LR can print directly. But with Cloudy LR you have to find some other way such as exporting a file to your hard drive for some other printing app or sending to an online service.

2) where Cloud requires duplicate files for each copy so each copy uses more of Adobes Cloud space
I don't think that is true. It just calls its Create VC command "Duplicate".

I'm certainly not a fan of Cloudy, but maybe you're a bit too obsessed with Adobe's potential motives here?

As someone who had to do this evaluation myself several years ago, I can offer these tips. I am very happy using Lightroom Classic; have no desire to go to Lightroom (Cloudy) or any of the mobile offerings:
  • You ask the right question in looking for a comparison. I found one on Laura Shoe's blog which I can't find now but it would be dated.
  • I would suggest you consider making the change in steps. Since you are on LR6, LrC is a logical move. All of your files are kept on your PC and the behavior/features/concepts are similar.
  • Once on LrC you can research as to whether Lr Cloudy and the mobile apps have any appeal to you. If so, I believe you can then start to sync images between LrC and Lr and moble apps. Note, I believe the syncs are of Smart Previews and any original RAW file.
Happy Trails

2) Classic supports Virtual Copies without taking up more disk space, where Cloud requires duplicate files for each copy so each copy uses more of Adobes Cloud space, driving the users Cloud use up and potentially more money for Adobe. To take away an existing feature just to drive up $’s is shameful. It also takes away Stacking!

Again, Thank you of your quick response and helpful information.

BobMc
I think you are suspect that Adobe has profit motives outside of selling storage space for Lightroom in the Adobe Cloud. I see nothing to indicate that might even remotely be true.
The Purpose of Lightroom (as I see it) is to provide a product platform for mobile users that might never own a desktop or laptop computer. This expands their range of potential customers. There is a whole generation of internet only users that might never own a 'real' computer.

1) Lightroom Classic supports it own print module as well as third party printers which include WHCC and Printque. The Print module does not require a defined intermediate file although one is generated internally for the printer. Lightroom (for the Cloud does not have a separate Print module as the Mobile platform does not lend itself to printing directly to print hardware. You would not expect to lug around a printer (hardware) to attach to your phone or tablet.
2) I think John has explained the "duplicate" process versus Virtual Copies. Adobe does not waste space in the Adobe cloud with physical copies. Both Virtual Copies and "Duplicates" create a small set of edit instructions which can be easily and compactly stored. Both the "Original" and the "Duplicate" set of instruction refer to the ONE imported original file.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back