• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

free tracklog app?

Status
Not open for further replies.

David689

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
v12.1
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
Hi,

I know the missing FAQ recommends a paid for app that creates a tracklog that lightroom can use. Does anyone know of a reliable free app? Although I may go ahead and pay for Geotag photos pro - I see it is now on v2. I think it costs a little over £10 but you have to pay for it through the app using Google pay - although I would prefer to pay for it via credit card on my desktop.

i tend to use standalone devices.

Geotag apps must run constantantly in order to ping the sattelite every few seconds (or multiple times per second) and that drains cell phone batteries quite quickkly. And, the last thing you need while treking the backwoods is a dead cell phone battery which could turn into a life saving situation.

Although it has one of the worst software user interfaces I use Wintec WBT202 and can get about 30 hours on a charge with it set to one entry every 10 seconds . But, of course - not free.

Geotag apps must run constantantly in order to ping the sattelite every few seconds
That's if you can get a satellite connection. I'm mostly in the woods so figure my Geotags is getting the location using GSM off cell towers. For walks, I update every minute.

I have used free apps on my Android phone and they have been perfectly fine for me. It will depend on your use case however, as Califdan and Paul_DS256 have pointed out. I have tried OSMAnd+, GPS Logger, and Geo Tracker, and also if I am cycling I can download the routes I record with RideWithGPS. All have worked well for me, and are free.

gps recievers in devices do not rely of cellular networks. They can get the ping directly from the satellite - no cell towers involved. I get GPS data in the middle of nowhere when ther is no cell service as well as in foreighn countries when I have cell service turned off. What is decieving is that if you turn on something like Google Maps, it won't work, because it can't get the map from the Google server to display on the screen, not because the GPS chip doesn't know where you are. Thsy'd why I usually pre-download the Google Maps to my phone before I travel where I might not have or want to pay for cell service. But, as I said, I still prefer my standalone device to keep from draining my phone battery.

FWIW, I use a Garmen eTrex - runs on a AA battery, and when I get home I connect it to the computer and download the GPX file.

For iOS users there is a free app called 'Arc Mini' (there is also a paid 'Arc' app with more options). This app does not drain the battery much, so it can run in the background 24/7 without any problems, and it can export a .gpx tracklog.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back