• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

People mask unavailable

Status
Not open for further replies.

57Andrew

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version Number
Classic 12.1
Operating System
  1. macOS 12 Monterey
When I tried to create a people mask today it told me I don't have enough VRAM (I think - the message has now disappeared) and the people mask is now greyed out. This is so frustrating. I have attached the laptop spec. It is 3 years old and suddenly I can't do something. Any suggestions how to restore this appreciated.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-01-01 at 4.03.38 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-01-01 at 4.03.38 PM.png
    61.3 KB · Views: 95
The minimum GPU is 2GB. While some functions worked below this before 12.1, the added features in Masking meant this would no longer work. 2GB has actually been the stated minimum by Adobe since 10.0 (October 2020).

So, one solution would be to roll back to 12.0.1 (assuming this is the last version it worked in for you).

To build on Paul's reply, another solution (short of getting a new computer) is to buy an EGPU, which currently will cost at least $200 - $300.

It would be technically trivial for LR to have an option that disables the use the graphics processor for AI masking, but Adobe stubbornly refuses to provide one. This bizarre decision completely mystifies me -- they're writing off a large number of users with modest laptops and older desktops.

Please add your vote and details of your computer to this feature request:
https://community.adobe.com/t5/ligh...ance-gt-use-graphics-processor/idi-p/12480845

When I tried to create a people mask today it told me I don't have enough VRAM (I think - the message has now disappeared) and the people mask is now greyed out. This is so frustrating. I have attached the laptop spec. It is 3 years old and suddenly I can't do something. Any suggestions how to restore this appreciated.
We can hope that Adobe will allow disabling the use of the graphics processor for People masking. In the meantime, presets with adaptive portrait masking still work in LrC 12.1 for those who can't create their own masks. The presets from Matt Kloskowski on this page create the various masks for the selected people and also name the masks. One preset only creates the mask. The other also applies some adjustments. I use that first preset even though I can still create people masks. https://mattk.com/whats-new-in-lightroom-12-oct-2022-update/

To build on Paul's reply, another solution (short of getting a new computer) is to buy an EGPU, which currently will cost at least $200 - $300.
I used an eGPU for a while to boost the graphics performance of my Intel 13" MacBook Pro, and there are are a few things to know before going down this road.

The actual cost of an eGPU is considerably higher. Most eGPUs, including some of the ones linked, are empty enclosures with a card slot — at $200-300, the actual graphics card is not included. So you also have to figure out which Lightroom-compatible graphics card to put in the eGPU enclosure, and add its cost. The total cost can easily exceed $600 (even more if you need a card that can also accelerate video editing and 3D). That was (sort of) justifiable when Intel Macs were the only Macs, but now we have Apple Silicon Macs that come with good GPUs and more flexible graphics memory (thanks to Apple Silicon Unified Memory. When an eGPU today can cost $600+ just to accelerate a few features in Lightroom, you have to ask yourself if it might be better to sell the Intel Mac, combine the proceeds with what you would have spent on an eGPU and the graphics card to put in it, and apply that money to a new Apple Silicon Mac that would make everything faster.

Most eGPUs come with a half meter Thunderbolt cable, but that's so short you practically have to place the eGPU right next to the Mac, if your desk has that kind of room. If you need a longer Thunderbolt cable like a 2-meter one that lets you put the eGPU under the desk, you’ll have to buy it yourself…add at least $50 to your budget for one of those.

Of course an eGPU cannot help you use people masking on the go, because just about every eGPU out there is a bulky unit that requires AC power through a big power brick. Which is a problem if you might need to do people masking away from power outlets, and you won’t be able to use an eGPU on a train or airliner.

Also, there are technical complications. An eGPU works best when it drives an external display plugged into it; to have it accelerate the internal display of a laptop might need special configuration or might not be possible with certain models. And that reminds me that some hardware and applications are not compatible with eGPUs.

I got lucky, my eGPU was at the bottom end of the price scale, because I set it up before the severe graphics card shortage a couple of years ago that was brought on by cryptocurrency mining and pandemic supply chain bottlenecks. When that shortage came, assembling an eGPU could easily cost beyond $1000 because of the scarcity and high cost of graphics cards. Luckily things have improved, so prices are dropping.

If being able to use people masking is a serious need and Adobe does not find a way to lower the system requirements, given the cost, complexity, and inconvenience of an eGPU, now that we have Apple Silicon Macs picking up one of those is probably a better, overall cheaper, and more future-proof way for an Intel Mac user to get current graphics power. In terms of overall performance, an M1/M2 MacBook Air or Mac mini will blow away most Intel Macs ever made, with less heat/noise and better battery life, and 16GB unified memory or more should allow full GPU acceleration.

If you want a quick easy solution, you can try the Sonnet Breakaway Puck. It is a lot more compact that most eGPU enclosures, and the GPU is included (but permanently installed, so not upgradeable). For only 4GB VRAM (not very future proof) and all those limitations, it starts at $500. A used Apple Silicon Mac is not much more.

o build on Paul's reply, another solution (short of getting a new computer) is to buy an EGPU, which currently will cost at least $200 - $300.

It would be technically trivial for LR to have an option that disables the use the graphics processor for AI masking, but Adobe stubbornly refuses to provide one. This bizarre decision completely mystifies me -- they're writing off a large number of users with modest laptops and older desktops.
This stubborness is concerning. The management should be very concerned. Unless of course this insularity comes from the example set by top management. But that's all above my pay grade.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/ligh...ance-gt-use-graphics-processor/idi-p/12480845
Done.

Phil Burton

Thanks for all the replies. I find it immensely frustrating that a 3 year old laptop that I thought was reasonably spec'd when I bought it can't fully run LRC. If I want to replace this one it will probably cost me HK$30,000 and to do that every 3 years is just crazy. I still have a 17" and 15" MacBook Pro that are perfectly serviceable for non processing daily use so if I upgrade again I will have 4 working macbooks. If I go back it simply postpones the problem and I used to have occasional crashes with People masks anyway. Not sure what to do. I appreciate the suggestions.

Done

Select People was working in 12.0, but I understand that blocking it completely was in response to a whole bunch of crashes. I wonder if enough people complain, they might put in a "use it anyway, we'll put up with the crashes in order to use Select People" override preference. I'm mainly hearing complaints from people on recent (2018/2019) Macs, who weren't seeing much in the way of crashes and have an otherwise well spec'd machine.

Thanks for that thread, I'll drag it back to the surface at my next meeting.

I wonder if enough people complain, they might put in a "use it anyway, we'll put up with the crashes in order to use Select People" override preference.
I think it would be better to allow the user to disable the use of the GPU for AI Masking when LR mistakenly thinks the GPU is compatible, rather than force it to be used. When LR thinks a GPU is compatible, it often isn't, due to buggy drivers, lack of VRAM, etc. There is some evidence that manufacturers aren't fixing bugs in drivers for older graphics hardware that is nominally compatible with AI masking.

AI masking works fine with no GPU, albeit 4-5 times slower (e.g. 5-8 seconds instead of 1-2 seconds). Better a live dog than a dead lion.

Providing the option Use GPU for AI Masking would exactly in line with the other existing GPU options:

- Use GPU For Display
- Use GPU For Image Processing
- Use GPU For Export
- Use GPU To Apply Dehaze And Clarity Adjustments While Generating Previews

It's mysterious why Adobe resists Use GPU For AI Masking.

Providing the option Use GPU for AI Masking would exactly in line with the other existing GPU options:
- Use GPU For Display
- Use GPU For Image Processing
- Use GPU For Export
- Use GPU To Apply Dehaze And Clarity Adjustments While Generating Previews
Yes, an override like that would be perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back