• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Auto Settings Blowing Out Exposure and Whites (New Behavior)

Status
Not open for further replies.

_TD_

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic 12.0.1
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I recently started suffering a different behavior with the LRC Auto Settings where the result is totally unusable. I used to be able to do a shoot, import the raw files, select all in Library mode (Ctrl+A), Ctrl+U to apply auto settings to all selected files, apply the X-Rite profile I generated from that shoot. This would get me a long way toward a usable starting point for doing more detailed work like healing etc. with close to natural skin tones.

With LRC 11.5 or so, and still happening in LRC 12.0.1, the Auto Setting is suddenly completely blowing out the photos (combo of over exposing and lifting the Whites far too much among other things), and generating some crazy skin tones without even touching the Temp or Tint. The only preset I'm using is the built-in Lens + CA Correction. I've attached a photo pre and post Auto Settings to demonstrate the bizarre result on skin tone. The original is clearly underexposed, but the result is bizarre in comparison to previous versions of the Auto Settings behavior.

I'm not clear on the timeline (camera or LRC upgrade happening first) , but this also started to happen around the time I transitioned from a Canon 5D Mk III (CR2) to an R5 C (CR3).

I'm not sure if something is happening in the background (not showing in History drop down), a setting I mistakenly switched, if Lightroom Auto Settings for CR3 files is just this far off, or something else entirely. Have any others experienced this workflow breaking new behavior, or am I the culprit? If I'm the culprit, any suggestions for correcting it would be much appreciated.

Thanks
LR.jpg LR2.jpg

098A3224example (Medium).jpg 098A3224example-2 (Medium).jpg

What happens when you switch profiles from the Adobe Color default and use on of the camera specific ones? R5 user and I keep the camera in Faithful and set my imported images to Camera Faithful profile. I do find Auto does boost the whites too high though.

What happens when you switch profiles from the Adobe Color default and use on of the camera specific ones? R5 user and I keep the camera in Faithful and set my imported images to Camera Faithful profile. I do find Auto does boost the whites too high though.
I use Faithful on the camera as well. The image on the left is with the X-Rite profile applied and white balance set generated using the Color Checker card in the same location as the subject with the same lighting as the subject just prior to the shoot. The image on the right is with the same white balance set, but with the Camera Faithful profile applied. Both images still suffer significant distortion of the skin tones. I believe primarily from the large swings in the Exposure, Whites, and other values in the Basic module as a result of the Auto Settings being applied. It makes subjects look they are aspiring to be George Hamilton. :laugh:

098A3224example(X-Rite).jpg 098A3224example(Camera Faithful).jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back