• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Collections query

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexR

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
LR Classic v12.0
Operating System
  1. macOS 12 Monterey
Hi - I'm hoping to reorganise my catalogue by date - a simple folder for each year. Is there a way to do this that will retain the current subfolder structure? For example, I have a folder for a particular client with a number of subfolders inside it, one for each job I've done for them spread over a number of years. I'm trying to make this into a collection so that the job subfolders and hierarchy can be viewed intact, even if a particular job might be located in two separate year folders. Again for example, job no. 57 might have taken place over 2012 and 2013, so the files will appear in both the 2012 and 2013 folders, but hopefully the original job no. 57 folder would still be visible as part of a collection.
Possible or not?

Many thanks,
Alex

And a further question - Adobe says 'In the Folders panel, you create a collection set from a folder that contains subfolders. The collection set created in the Collections panel have the same hierarchy as that of the folders and its subfolders.'

However when I try this with a folder containing a subfolder, nothing happens at all - control-click on the parent folder to create collection set, but no result.

Alex

Folders and collections are two entirely separate things. So yes, it is possible to create a collection or setup a smart collection that shows all the images of a particular job, regardless in which folder these images are. Create the collection and drag the images into it, or create a smart collection that searches for these images, using the folders as criteria and/or other criteria.

Thank you - I can see how to move all the images into a collection or smart collection, but I can't seem to make a collection containing the subfolders in their original hierarchy (see my second question above)

Alex

Thank you - I can see how to move all the images into a collection or smart collection, but I can't seem to make a collection containing the subfolders in their original hierarchy (see my second question above)

Alex
You do not move images into a collection, you add them to a collection. Images can be in multiple collections. A collection cannot contain subfolders as a hierarchy, because collections cannot contain a hierarchy, but it can contain the images of all subfolders. A collection set can contain a hierarchy of ’subsets’ and then collections.

And a further question - Adobe says 'In the Folders panel, you create a collection set from a folder that contains subfolders. The collection set created in the Collections panel have the same hierarchy as that of the folders and its subfolders.'

However when I try this with a folder containing a subfolder, nothing happens at all - control-click on the parent folder to create collection set, but no result.

Alex
You say that "nothing happens at all" when you control-click on a parent folder. Do you not see the standard context sub-menu when you do that? What about if you right-click using you mouse or trackpad?

Hi Jim - I get the sub-menu 'create collection set' which gives me the collection name and the option of a location inside a collection set (smart collections). If I then click 'create' nothing happens at all.

You do not move images into a collection, you add them to a collection. Images can be in multiple collections. A collection cannot contain subfolders as a hierarchy, because collections cannot contain a hierarchy, but it can contain the images of all subfolders. A collection set can contain a hierarchy of ’subsets’ and then collections.
Got it, I think - thanks for your help

A Collection Set is a collection of Collections. You could for example create a collection Set named for the year and then Add collections for under this fro each job number.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back