• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Syncing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wendy Whyte

Premium Classic Member
Premium Cloud Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. Windows 11
Hi
Is it possible to sync just a limited number of folders/collections or must I sync all my catalog?
TIA
Wendy

If you are syncing FROM Classic to the cloud, then that is entirely selective, i.e. the user chooses how many or few images to sync.

If you add images to the cloud from any of the Lightroom apps, and if you are syncing your Classic catalog with the cloud, then ALL images that you add directly to Lightroom will sync down into that catalog.

If you are syncing FROM Classic to the cloud, then that is entirely selective, i.e. the user chooses how many or few images to sync.

If you add images to the cloud from any of the Lightroom apps, and if you are syncing your Classic catalog with the cloud, then ALL images that you add directly to Lightroom will sync down into that catalog.
Thank you for your reply. I want to sync just a few photos from classic to the cloud so that I can access them on my iPad. I can’t work out how to do it. In LRC when I click on the cloud sync icon on the far top right it appears to want to sync my whole catalog which is way bigger than the 20gb allowance. Please can you explain how to sync a collection to the cloud.
Thanks
Wendy

Thank you for your reply. I want to sync just a few photos from classic to the cloud so that I can access them on my iPad. I can’t work out how to do it. In LRC when I click on the cloud sync icon on the far top right it appears to want to sync my whole catalog which is way bigger than the 20gb allowance. Please can you explain how to sync a collection to the cloud.
Thanks
Wendy
I should perhaps have added that when I create a collection of any sort the "Sync with Lightroom option." isn't there.

Hi Wendy. There's more detailed instructions in the Cloud Sync chapter of your Missing FAQ (page 553 in the latest PDF), but you need to "Start Syncing" in that cloud icon top right, and then the Sync with Lightroom option appears in the New Collection dialog, and the little icon next to existing collections in the Collections panel.

I can’t work out how to do it. In LRC when I click on the cloud sync icon on the far top right it appears to want to sync my whole catalog which is way bigger than the 20gb allowance. Please can you explain how to sync a collection to the cloud.
As Victoria has explained, you first have to enable syncing in the Classic catalog by clicking on that "Start Syncing" button under the cloud icon. Note that doing that initially only enables syncing, it doesn't actually start any syncing until you tell it what you want to sync. Note that syncing FROM Classic only uploads Smart Previews of the originals, these are 2560px on the long edge but are generally OK for viewing on mobile devices and even basic editing. But the Smart Previews do not count against your 20GB cloud allowance, so you could sync your entire Classic catalog to the cloud without using up any of that allowance.

Hi Wendy. There's more detailed instructions in the Cloud Sync chapter of your Missing FAQ (page 553 in the latest PDF), but you need to "Start Syncing" in that cloud icon top right, and then the Sync with Lightroom option appears in the New Collection dialog, and the little icon next to existing collections in the Collections panel.
Many thanks Victoria, I didn't find anything on the Adobe website when I was searching for the answer.

Hey folks -- I'm trying to create some web galleries using LRC. I turned on web syncing several months ago, but, like Ms. Whyte, I am still unable to create new collections that show the "sync with Lightroom" option. I feel I must be missing something basic. Appreciate any help you can give.

Thanks very much for your quick reply. That particular post was the one I was following -- the dialog box under the cloud icon said it was synced but there were no boxes to check to the left of collections to tell Lightroom, "Sync this." I even tried clicking where the checkboxes were supposed to be, just in case, but got nothing. I checked my sync settings multiple times, restarted, etc. This morning, quite mysteriously, the checkboxes appeared, and I was able to start syncing the collections I wanted to upload. I'm sure this must come down to operator error/blindness, but my inability to find the boxes over multiple sessions makes that hard to accept.

Anyhow, I think I'm set now. Thank you very much -- you guys are an incredible resource.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back