• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Are you using the cloud-based Lightroom apps for iOS, Android, Windows, Mac, and Web? Then you'll love my book, Adobe Lightroom - Edit on the Go!

You'll learn how to use the Lightroom cloud ecosystem to organize, edit and share your photos. You'll also come to understand the thought processes used by professional photographers when they're editing their own photos, so you can transform your photos quickly and easily. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Send presets to students?

Status
Not open for further replies.

reidthaler

Reid
Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
current
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
It teach a smartphone photography class featuring Lightroom. Is there any reasonable way to send presets to students? I know they can download images and create presets from settings but that's not really what I'm thinking.

On another note, can I create presets in Lightroom Classic using mask not in the smarthphone/ipad version, like facial features, import them to Lightroom, and have them work on the smartphone/ipad or will it just not be able to re-config the mask?

Thanks,

Reid

You can create presets in the desktop version by opening the preset panel once you have the edits you want in an image. Hit the + to save the edits as a new preset. You can then export the preset for your students to download.

Make sure you include masking in the preset.

Lr iPad supports those masks. Once you apply the preset, you will probably have to go to the masking tab to to relocate the saved masks. Lr should find the new location for them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You can create presets in the desktop version by opening the preset panel once you have the edits you want in an image. Hit the + to save the edits as a new preset. You can then export the preset for your students to download.
but you can't import presets to Lightroom mobile (smarthphone/ipad)? This would be for student that don't have an adobe subscription

TBMK At the moment the only way to 'create/import' Develop Presets in Mobile devices is to use a 'carrier' DNG file that has the embedded Develop settings.
I do not know if the Free version of the Mobile App can use presets at all!

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-cc/using/import-presets-mobile.html
https://community.adobe.com/t5/ligh...dng-presets-in-lightroom-mobile/td-p/10075090

DNG Presets are easy to create in Lightroom-Classic. Any small image (even a tiny JPG) can have a Preset applied, then exported as a DNG. You would then share the DNG file.

but you can't import presets to Lightroom mobile (smarthphone/ipad)? This would be for student that don't have an adobe subscription

Lr Mobile syncs presets from desktop versions. If you don’t have access to a desktop version to start the sync, I’m not sure what your options are

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have the desktop version, but thinking of my students that don't

I think you should save the created presets on any cloud platform and then import the presets through same cloud platform on the smartphone. This is the best way you can help your students.

I think you should save the created presets on any cloud platform and then import the presets through same cloud platform on the smartphone. This is the best way you can help your students.

I don't know of any way to import presets to a smartphone. Re-creating a preset is not importing.

We covered this in part of a series we wrote about Presets:

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/cloud-import-profiles-presets/

Yes, I'm aware of this approach, but as the article says, "Check all of panels (unless you know the preset only uses specific sliders) and tap Save. This isn’t ideal, as it’ll overwrite any existing edits when you apply the preset to a photo, but it’s better than nothing."

To me, that's not importing but creating a new preset based on settings and fraught with potential issues for new smartphone photography students just starting to learn the Lightroom app.

This isn’t ideal, as it’ll overwrite any existing edits when you apply the preset to a photo
As part of educating the students about 'creating presets from DNG files', you need to explain the dialog in which it is possible to select and set specific develop items in the dialog. (Check one, check some, check all.)

Yes, I went over presets last night with my students. I think if I created presets and created screen shots of what settings to save, then that might work, but may be a better lesson to tell them to make their own presets with specific effects

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back