• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Are you using the cloud-based Lightroom apps for iOS, Android, Windows, Mac, and Web? Then you'll love my book, Adobe Lightroom - Edit on the Go!

You'll learn how to use the Lightroom cloud ecosystem to organize, edit and share your photos. You'll also come to understand the thought processes used by professional photographers when they're editing their own photos, so you can transform your photos quickly and easily. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Lightroom Cloudy from the Mac App Store vs installing with the CC app

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichAC

Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. macOS 12 Monterey
Hi all.

I'm on the Photography 20GB plan. I currently have both Classic and Cloudy installed, and I'm planning to migrate and use Cloudy exclusively. I just stumbled on the fact that LR Cloudy is available on the Mac App Store. I was a bit surprised since I though that the only way to install Adobe apps was via the Creative Cloud application that lives in the menu bar. The version in the App Store is the latest one (5.5).

I was wondering if people have opinions about whether it's better to install Lightroom via the "traditional" Adobe CC app route, or directly from the App Store? My gut feel is that the latter is cleaner (won't result in lots of other stuff being installed as well) - but are there any downsides? I don't use the CC app for anything except updating my apps, so maybe I'm missing out...

This is a theoretical question for now since I already have Lightroom installed, but I'm half-expecting to update my Mac at some point and it would be good to understand which route would be best when I do - install the CC app and then LR from there as normal, or just install LR from the App Store.

Solution
Yeah. I think the App Store version still creates an Adobe account - the photos are still stored in Adobe's cloud - but there's a different in payment methods. Same is true of the mobile apps that can have premium in-app purchases.
Six of one and half a dozen of the other. I think the subscription needs to go through the App Store if you install from there, which means you can't take advantage of things like the Amazon prepaid discounts. Don't quote me on that, I haven't tested the theory.

Six of one and half a dozen of the other. I think the subscription needs to go through the App Store if you install from there, which means you can't take advantage of things like the Amazon prepaid discounts. Don't quote me on that, I haven't tested the theory.

Thanks @Victoria Bampton - you might be right about that. The App Store listing states:
Premium recurring monthly payment is automatically charged to your iTunes account.
That's not ideal if you already have an Adobe account and plan! I find it hard to believe that you can't install from the App Store and then use an existing account, but maybe that's a limitation of the App Store terms and conditions - Apple will get a cut of any LR subs made through the App Store so perhaps they enforce it.

Here we go, straight from the horse's mouth:

What happens if I have also purchased Lightroom from Adobe.com?​

You can buy Lightroom from either Adobe.com or Apple’s Mac App Store. It is the same app. However, it is not recommended to install both versions at the same time. Keep the version installed from the store where you purchased the app to ensure timely communication about updates.
So it looks like the App Store version is intended to be used with an Apple account, and the Creative Cloud version is intended to be used with an Adobe account.

Yeah. I think the App Store version still creates an Adobe account - the photos are still stored in Adobe's cloud - but there's a different in payment methods. Same is true of the mobile apps that can have premium in-app purchases.

Solution
There was a long running intermittent issue with the Windows App Store version when importing images. If you look in the Adobe forums, there are a number of bugs with the Apple Store version, usually related to accounts.
Based on this, I would hesitate to user either platforms App Store.

Tim

There was a long running intermittent issue with the Windows App Store version when importing images. If you look in the Adobe forums, there are a number of bugs with the Apple Store version, usually related to accounts.

Tim
Thanks Tim. I think I'll stick with the Creative Cloud installed version. A shame, because I like the simplicity of App Store installs, but it is what it is.

Tim
That's true, Adobe has more control over the versions it pushes out itself. Ones that go through app stores have to jump through more hoops, so updates are more delayed, if nothing else.

When I upgraded my Mac earlier this year I switched to using the App Store version. I can’t see any real differences in terms of the app itself and haven’t had any issues. While I believe you can pay via apple, I still manage all that through Adobe direct. You have to sign in with your Adobe account etc.

The main reason I installed this way is that it removes the need to have Creative Cloud installed (I don’t use any of the other apps) and I always found that a bit of a resource hog and source of annoying notifications. This way it’s updates are managed separately with most of my other apps.

Apps from the Mac App Store can usually be installed on many devices provided they are signed in to the same Apple ID as they were purchased on.

I think the limit on an Adobe account is two activated at the same time if signed in to the same Adobe ID.

Not sure how/if these apply for Lightroom Cloudy.

Good thinking Mike, you're right, Lightroom Cloudy has a 5 desktop/laptop limit if it's the Lightroom 1TB plan, whether purchased from Adobe or Apple.

When I upgraded my Mac earlier this year I switched to using the App Store version. I can’t see any real differences in terms of the app itself and haven’t had any issues. While I believe you can pay via apple, I still manage all that through Adobe direct. You have to sign in with your Adobe account etc.

The main reason I installed this way is that it removes the need to have Creative Cloud installed (I don’t use any of the other apps) and I always found that a bit of a resource hog and source of annoying notifications. This way it’s updates are managed separately with most of my other apps.
Thanks @wheresrunnicles - that was really the crux of my question - "can I use the app store version with my existing account?". Sounds like I can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back