• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Jeffrey Friedl's folder publisher plugin question on file numbering

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reddwarf4ever

Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
Hello

in advanced reanme i need to number the images 0001-xxxx just cant see how its done

if anyone can help

{YYYY}-{MM}-{DD}-{FolderName}-{Keywords}

its just the number sequence that i cant find,

thanks

Numbering Tokens in Image File Rename​

Numbering tokens behave differently when used during an import compared to being used in the Library Module. In all cases the choices using the pull down allow you have leading zeroes in order to have all the numbers be the same number of digits. For example, if you use a (1) flavor, numbers would be ….8, 9, 10, …. 98, 99, 100, etc. but if you used an (001) flavor you’d have …008, 009. 010, 098, 099, 100 but then 998, 999, 1000. Again, use the pull down to see the different flavors of each type.

Import dialog version

1663183156088.png

Library Module version

1663183173829.png

In the Import Dialog version, there are separate token lines for Import #, Image #, and Sequence # and when you expand Sequence #, it has entries for Sequence # and Total #. In the Library Module version there is only one token line for numbering but the pull down has flavors for Sequence #, Image #, and Total # (there is no Import #). I think they did these differently just to drive people writing documentation tutorials crazy.

Sequence # – This is the most commonly used numbering method. It generates sequential numbers starting with a value you specify when you use the template.

Import # - This option is only available when editing a file rename template or using a file rename template from the import dialog. It is a number representing each use of a file rename template that contains this token in an import batch. The first time a template containing this token is used the number will be 1, the next time you do an import using a template containing this token the number will be 2, and so on. If you do an import and don’t do file renaming or select a template that does not include this token, then that import batch number is not incremented.

Image # - This is very similar to “Sequence #”. When used in an import operation it remembers where it left off the last time a template containing this token was used in an import operation and picks up at that point. When used in the Library Module it always starts with 1.

Total # - This provides a number representing the number of images being renamed this time. In other words the number of images selected in the Library Module Grid of Filmstrip. It is not available in the import dialog. It is typically used as the 2nd number in a name such as “Image 27 of 32”.

When used in the Import Dialog, tokens for “Import #” and “Image #”, the starting value used in each import is one greater than the last value used.. The current high water mark for these two tokens can be seen and reset in the Catalog Settings dialog (menu: Edit -> Catalog Settings ->File Handling tab) as shown below.

Numbering Tokens in Image File Rename​

Numbering tokens behave differently when used during an import compared to being used in the Library Module. In all cases the choices using the pull down allow you have leading zeroes in order to have all the numbers be the same number of digits. For example, if you use a (1) flavor, numbers would be ….8, 9, 10, …. 98, 99, 100, etc. but if you used an (001) flavor you’d have …008, 009. 010, 098, 099, 100 but then 998, 999, 1000. Again, use the pull down to see the different flavors of each type.

Import dialog version

View attachment 19297

Library Module version

View attachment 19298

In the Import Dialog version, there are separate token lines for Import #, Image #, and Sequence # and when you expand Sequence #, it has entries for Sequence # and Total #. In the Library Module version there is only one token line for numbering but the pull down has flavors for Sequence #, Image #, and Total # (there is no Import #). I think they did these differently just to drive people writing documentation tutorials crazy.

Sequence # – This is the most commonly used numbering method. It generates sequential numbers starting with a value you specify when you use the template.

Import # - This option is only available when editing a file rename template or using a file rename template from the import dialog. It is a number representing each use of a file rename template that contains this token in an import batch. The first time a template containing this token is used the number will be 1, the next time you do an import using a template containing this token the number will be 2, and so on. If you do an import and don’t do file renaming or select a template that does not include this token, then that import batch number is not incremented.

Image # - This is very similar to “Sequence #”. When used in an import operation it remembers where it left off the last time a template containing this token was used in an import operation and picks up at that point. When used in the Library Module it always starts with 1.

Total # - This provides a number representing the number of images being renamed this time. In other words the number of images selected in the Library Module Grid of Filmstrip. It is not available in the import dialog. It is typically used as the 2nd number in a name such as “Image 27 of 32”.

When used in the Import Dialog, tokens for “Import #” and “Image #”, the starting value used in each import is one greater than the last value used.. The current high water mark for these two tokens can be seen and reset in the Catalog Settings dialog (menu: Edit -> Catalog Settings ->File Handling tab) as shown below.
Thank you for the detailed and interesting reply, but I was referring to advanced naming with

Jeffrey Friedl's folder publisher plugin​

not sure if these apply as I am not renaming with an import, but during publishimg

thankx

Jfriedl's plug in uses the same "file rename" tool as described in my prior post.

1663192436596.png

1. Check the "Rename To" box and then click the down arrow at the right end of the "Rename to" line"
  2. Scorll down to the bottom of the list of rename templates and select "Edit"
  3. Fill in the fields as desired
Here's your example with "4 digit sequence number" in place of "keywords". In my example, the selected image was taken on 3/24/2018, is in folder "2018-03b SE Asia".
1663192943913.png

I think you have another post pertaining to having "Keywords" as part of file names (not reccomended), so I'm not going to re-hash that here as well.

Thanks thats perfect, I thiught i would have to use the plugin smart filter, didnt realise the standard filter does all i need.

I dont suppose theres a way of using the folder name but truncating the first xx charachters ?

Thanks thats perfect, I thiught i would have to use the plugin smart filter, didnt realise the standard filter does all i need.

I dont suppose theres a way of using the folder name but truncating the first xx charachters ?
Sure, you could replace the folder name token with custom token and manually type in what you want.

No I need the folder name, but would like to remove the first 6 characters, most likely impossible, but thought I’d ask

thanks
I'm just asking, can't you just remember the folder name and type it manually minus the 1st 6 digits? The rename dialog will ask you to input the custom text and apply it to all the images in the batch.

Before you do the ixport use John Beardsworth's "Search and Replace" plug in to copy the folder name starting with the 7 character to some other field such as "Headline" on all the photos you're going to export. Then in the file rename template editor, use "headline" (it's in the Metadata section) instead of "Folder Name".

Before you do the ixport use John Beardsworth's "Search and Replace" plug in to copy the folder name starting with the 7 character to some other field such as "Headline" on all the photos you're going to export. Then in the file rename template editor, use "headline" (it's in the Metadata section) instead of "Folder Name".

Thanks will give that a try, had hoped there would be a character I could enter which truncated, bit too much to expect.
will give this plugin a try, unfortunately it’s not donate ware, like many other plugins it’s £21.65, which does seem excessive for this plugin, I wouldn’t know where to start writing one, but it’s function is not as complicated as some others, may have to see if can do with Jeffrey’s “Folder Publisher” Lightroom Plugin, have made an enquiry, may he will add the option of it does t exist

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back