• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Masking issue in Lightroom classic

Status
Not open for further replies.

sh1209

Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. macOS 12 Monterey
Since the last update a couple weeks ago i feel like the masking has gotten horrible when selecting a subject. Also whenever duplicating and inverting a mask it’s terribly inaccurate. Im extremely familiar with Lightroom and photoshop and have used masking almost daily for years. I’m just curious if anyone else has noticed this.

Not noticed that here on M1 iMac.
Yeah it is really weird and I also have an M1 Mac book air but I only have Lightroom on there not Lightroom classic. I mean I use these programs on a daily basis for at least a couple hours a day and it is definitely acting wonky. Even if you duplicate and invert the mask that I have a refine it will only select a portion of that original mask whenever inverted. The unit I’m referring to is a 2020 intel 27 inch iMac. Perhaps I need to remove and reinstall Lightroom classic.

I just this week subscribed to the LrC/Ps combo so have Lr 11.5 and Ps 23.5.0. I regularly haunt the Reddit Ps subs and someone there asked why Lr Select Subject is so much better than the Ps version. So I opened a jpg in Ps (avoiding Lr raw and ACR) used Select Subject on it. Then back in Lr used Select Subject. It was a complicated selection, not an easy one, with areas that had poor differentiation of edge contrast and no easy color differentiation. Lr and Ps did equally poorly. In both apps I had to use the refinement tools quite a bit. Each app's machine learning algorithms had problems in the same areas with a not very easy to select element.

I can't compare with previous versions of LrC unfortunately, but 11.5's ability doesn't seem any worse than what Ps can do. Since I stalk the Reddit Ps subs, I think I'd see if folks there had been reporting that the recent Ps Select Subject has worsened compared to previous versions.

I just this week subscribed to the LrC/Ps combo so have Lr 11.5 and Ps 23.5.0. I regularly haunt the Reddit Ps subs and someone there asked why Lr Select Subject is so much better than the Ps version. So I opened a jpg in Ps (avoiding Lr raw and ACR) used Select Subject on it. Then back in Lr used Select Subject. It was a complicated selection, not an easy one, with areas that had poor differentiation of edge contrast and no easy color differentiation. Lr and Ps did equally poorly. In both apps I had to use the refinement tools quite a bit. Each app's machine learning algorithms had problems in the same areas with a not very easy to select element.

I can't compare with previous versions of LrC unfortunately, but 11.5's ability doesn't seem any worse than what Ps can do. Since I stalk the Reddit Ps subs, I think I'd see if folks there had been reporting that the recent Ps Select Subject has worsened compared to previous versions.
It certainly seems like it has gotten worse and especially for birds.

Since the last update a couple weeks ago i feel like the masking has gotten horrible when selecting a subject. Also whenever duplicating and inverting a mask it’s terribly inaccurate. Im extremely familiar with Lightroom and photoshop and have used masking almost daily for years. I’m just curious if anyone else has noticed this.
I have the same kind of problems (Windows 10 , LR 11.5).
I have been using masking for years with LR, PS, and picture window pro. With LR, I noticed for example : select the subject, invert, then you still see parts of the subject remain selected, and I mean not on the borders of the subject.

I have the same kind of problems (Windows 10 , LR 11.5).
I have been using masking for years with LR, PS, and picture window pro. With LR, I noticed for example : select the subject, invert, then you still see parts of the subject remain selected, and I mean not on the borders of the subject.
Exactly. Invert is terrible now and it will only invert 75-80% of the original mask now. I’m not exactly sure what has changed but I can say for sure that something has changed.

I played with a few more photos using LrC 11.5 and its various selection tools. Thanks to a youtube video I learned about intersecting a mask after the first one has been created. For example, I was able to select subject, invert to really select the background, do some edits, then Alt/Option hover over the mask panel and choose a method – gradient, brush, color range, etc – to intersect. The first mask constrains the second mask and did a nice job refining the selection and adding to the edit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back