• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Sharing photos

Status
Not open for further replies.

crbuckjr

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
LRC 11.4.1
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
We just went on an outing with several families and kids. I took a lot of pics and would like to make many of them them available to others for them to download If they’d like to.

what is the easiest way to do that from LRC?

I use LRC and Mobile

thanks much

Add them to a collection, set that collection to sync, and then in LrWeb share it and enable download in its settings.

Thanks...I think this is just what I am looking for....but...still need help

I formed a collection and synced it......then went to LR Adobe and found my synced photos........added the collection I want to share to my Gallery.....(OK so far????)......but couldn't figure out how to share
....can I share one collection with one friend....and another collection with another friend?

Thanks much for your help

No, I didn't say anything about Gallery. When the collection is in LrWeb, you share it by clicking this link at the top right.

1659640125827.png

OK..found it......only options seem to be View, Edit, contribute and Remove. I want them to be able to download. Is that doable?

Do they need an Adobe, or other, account?

thanks

You've got an option to allow downloads.

This doesn't require an Adobe account, unlike other options such as contributing
1659641608318.png

I checked that box but still don't have the option when inviting a specific individual to allow downloading
.....do they have to be JPG images? if so, how do I convert them within LR? Thanks for sticking with me on this

1659648049418.png

It's on the Settings tab - you're on "invite".

Yes, it is only JPG that gets shared but the files that you sync from Classic LR can be whatever you want, and LrWeb does the converting when people download. You can test this by setting up the sharing and download option, then copying the shortened URL https://adobe.ly/3xxxxxxx and pasting it into a different web browser - viewing it just like your friends would.

I think I followed your instructions and sent the link to my wife. When I used the link on her machine it asked for her to sign in....to Adobe.

also, on the drop down menu following the invite email address what option should I chose?

I must still be doing something wrong. Thanks for sticing with me on this

Chuck

1659716572718.png

IIRC, sign-in to an Adobe Account would be required if you've used the "Invite" procedure (certainly if you've set the invite option to either "Can contribute" or "Can Edit"). If you've set the album to "Anyone can View", then sent the link to your wife, she should be able to access the album (and download) without having to use an Adobe account sign-in. The Adobe account IS required should your wife want to do "comments" and/or "likes", but she can login using certain social media accounts instead of setting up an Adobe ID.

Only you can decide what option to select when sending out an email invitation, it very much depends on whether you and the invitee want to collaborate when working on an album.

Very helpful. I can now send pics to others for them to download. This was how this whole thing started out. Will be very useful since I often find that I am the only one taking pictures.....that others would like to have copies of.

You raised another possibility. That of collaboration. As an example, over the summer I might take 300 shoots of one grandson waterskiing. He would be quite willing to go thru them and pick out the best ones....say 5 to 10....that I will use in making an album for the summer. Ideally, he'd rank the photos using stars with one star as "0k", 2 as "good, and 3 as one of the best.

Is this doable? Is there another way to do this?

If so, would his ratings automatically show up on my desktop version of LRC?

Thanks for helping on my previous issue.....and I look forward to your comments on this idea. This is a whole new dimension of LR that seems quite useful.

Thanks

Chuck Buck

You raised another possibility. That of collaboration. As an example, over the summer I might take 300 shoots of one grandson waterskiing. He would be quite willing to go thru them and pick out the best ones....say 5 to 10....that I will use in making an album for the summer. Ideally, he'd rank the photos using stars with one star as "0k", 2 as "good, and 3 as one of the best.

Is this doable? Is there another way to do this?

If so, would his ratings automatically show up on my desktop version of LRC?
Unfortunately, the current implementation of album sharing does not allow the end-user to add metadata such as ratings and flags to the shared images, they are restricted to comments and likes. That's an often-asked for function which I hope will arrive someday , but in the meantime you could consider using the "Collaborative Proofing" function. This is currently available only via the Technology Preview system (in LrWeb, click on your Avatar top-right, select "Technology Preview" and enable Collaborative Proofing). Once enabled you can share an album using the proofing tab (4th along of the icons bottom right of the grid in LrWeb), which allows you to set a number of image selections to be made by an end-user (if you set a limit then that is the maximum number of images the user can select). You can then filter the results by specific user, with the option to create an album containing only the selected images. Although the user cannot rate them, they could use the comments and especially the likes to set a higher rating for the most favoured images. It's not ideal, and really needs refinement, but it could certainly be of some assistance in that specific use case.

Thanks very much. You have solved my basic problem....and pointed me to an additional way to use the system. thanks again

IIRC, sign-in to an Adobe Account would be required if you've used the "Invite" procedure (certainly if you've set the invite option to either "Can contribute" or "Can Edit"). If you've set the album to "Anyone can View", then sent the link to your wife, she should be able to access the album (and download) without having to use an Adobe account sign-in. The Adobe account IS required should your wife want to do "comments" and/or "likes", but she can login using certain social media accounts instead of setting up an Adobe ID.

Only you can decide what option to select when sending out an email invitation, it very much depends on whether you and the invitee want to collaborate when working on an album.
Thanks very much. You have solved my basic problem....and pointed me to an additional way to use the system. thanks again
One more question. Is there a way for users to select all photos and download them all together? seems to make you download one at a time. Thanks

Assuming you have enabled downloads, tell your users they can download all the images at once by clicking on the tri-dot icon (top-right next to your avatar) but only when they are in the grid view, then selecting Download Photos from the sub-menu that appears. Lr will then either download the entire contents of the album into a folder containing the jpegs for each image, or will download them in a zipped folder which will need to be unzipped to see the individual jpegs (it seems to be browser-specific as to the type of download).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back