• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Moving Lightroom Catalog from One external drive to another

Status
Not open for further replies.

VickiB

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Version 9.2.1
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
Hi i have been trying to do this for a few weeks now ( with time of for two petsitting gigs)
so i am working on a Windows 10 desktop with LR version 9.2.1 on a 2 TB external drive (G) and want to move to a 5 TB external drive (E).
I have copied and pasted my raw files from within LR to the new drive and copied Lightroom Catalog over also
when I open lightroom It shows both drives there but is using the G drive as shown in photo.
Even when i tell lightroom to use Drive E it looks like this picture .
The 2nd picture attached (cleverly named 2nd pic) is the Lightroom folder on the G 2TB drive i have been using and what i copied over to the new drive.

Help Victoria!! LOL

i am not going to update Lightroom until this is sorted out

Vicki

Attachments

• 20220719_121917.jpg
    20220719_121917.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 61
  • 2nd pic.jpg
    2nd pic.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
You need to ‘relink’ Lightroom to the new drive location. Right-click on the ‘Vickis Pictures’ top folder in the folder panel, and choose ‘Update Folder Location’. Select the corresponding folder on the new drive in the dialog that follows.

Okay , all my photos are coming up in LR under the correct E drive now. I restarted LR and
It is still showing G drive as the one to use on startup and the one that is showing in Catalog preferences.

should i unplug the G drive and see what happens

thanks for getting me this far!

Attachments

• 20220719_135059.jpg
    20220719_135059.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 41
  • 20220719_135114.jpg
    20220719_135114.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 38
In your second screenshot you can see that Lightroom is still set to open the catalog on the G drive. Start Lightroom once by double clicking the catalog file on the E drive. Then go to this preference again and change the preferred catalog to the one that is now open, or set this to ‘most recent catalog’.

Hi Johan , when i go to the lightroom catalog on the E drive to open, it opens lightroom and it is still showing as the G drive and there is no E drive even showing . If i click on the lightroom icon it opens showing that it is on E
drive but G is showing as the catalog with E not even there . Picture attached of that. Clearly i have done something wrong copying the Catalog from G to E . but not sure what to do about it .
Vicki

Attachments

• 20220720_0854043.jpg
    20220720_0854043.jpg
    352.7 KB · Views: 41
In your second screenshot you can see that Lightroom is still set to open the catalog on the G drive. Start Lightroom once by double clicking the catalog file on the E drive. Then go to this preference again and change the preferred catalog to the one that is now open, or set this to ‘most recent catalog’.
UPDATE** I unplugged my G drive and tried opening LR via the icon and clicking on the catalog file on the E drive. both times when LR opens it doesnt show the E drive at all just the G drive with of course no pictures because the drive is not plugged in .
so when i started this , i copied the whole lightroom file highlighted on the left half of the picture from G to E , the actual catalog that i have been using is highlighted on the right .

i am wondering if i should just reinstall LR from the adobe site on drive E ?

Attachments

• 20220720_0926112.jpg
    20220720_0926112.jpg
    513.6 KB · Views: 40
UPDATE** I unplugged my G drive and tried opening LR via the icon and clicking on the catalog file on the E drive. both times when LR opens it doesnt show the E drive at all just the G drive with of course no pictures because the drive is not plugged in .
so when i started this , i copied the whole lightroom file highlighted on the left half of the picture from G to E , the actual catalog that i have been using is highlighted on the right .

i am wondering if i should just reinstall LR from the adobe site on drive E ?
The catalog on the E drive is probably an older copy, from before you relinked the images. Replace it by a copy of the catalog from the G drive and try again.

So I think I got it! Fingers crossed!
So my next step will be to back up that up.
Then delete the old one after I use LR on the new drive for a bit!
Thank you so much for all your help Johan, I appreciate it so much!

Vicki
PS: if there is anything I am missing that I should be doing ........ ?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back