• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

How to use Lightroom v11 to de-noise and sharpen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

adonetok

Lightroom Version Number
v11.3
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
Please check the attach CR3 file which need de-noise and sharpen.
How to use Lrc to complete it?
Someone told me that Adobe PS will do it better than Lrc, is it right?
Do I need another software to do it?

Attachments

• bird.jpg
    bird.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 87
I don’t think the forum software allows raw file uploads, but you can post a link to a file sharing service like Dropbox.

What kind of issues are you having with Lightroom’s tools? What are you hoping to improve?

Yes, raw file will not allow to upload.
I just want to know is there any software can make attached jpg photo better?
Lrc, Ps, Denoise, Sharpen...?

Nothing in LightRoom's arsenal can fix a shot with that much motion blur, Adonetok - there's no Exif in the image, but it's very obvious from looking at the eye at 100% that a very low shutter speed has been used:

image_2022-06-10_222123813.png

You're not going to recover this with software, I'm afraid.

One of the challenges with this image is that there are different kinds of blur in it.

If you look at most of the image, most of the leaves and branches are just slightly blurry, which could simply be misfocusing and not motion blur.

If you look at the bird, it’s more complex. The eye is the most obvious problem with a long highlight that indicates a lot of motion blur, but some of the feathers in the lower part of the bird are sharp. As the bird was taking off, the head was moving up very quickly (creating the long streak), the wings and tail were moving in other directions more slowly, and the lower body (with the sharp feathers) was not moving much.

That means you would not want to sharpen the entire image uniformly. You would want to manually correct specific areas in different ways.

Someone told me that Adobe PS will do it better than Lrc, is it right?
Lightroom Classic can reduce noise, and can sharpen photos with no motion blur.
But Lightroom Classic has no tools for correcting motion blur.

Photoshop has historically had two tools for motion blur:
  • There is a Motion Blur option in the Filter >Sharpen > Smart Sharpen command, but it didn’t do much for this image when I tried it.
  • There was a Filter > Sharpen > Shake Reduction command. That one did have tools for correcting multiple directions of motion blur in a single image. But it was removed earlier this year in Photoshop 23.3 because the code was incompatible with newer operating systems, and it was difficult to use. If you still have or install a version of Photoshop earlier than 23.3, you can give Shake Reduction a try.

I took it into LR, then I used Topaz Sharpen - Motion Blur.
I did not play with it by varying parameters, but it did a decent job on this very small image.
bird image_2022-06-10_222123813-Edit post.jpg

Here is the whole bird. I had LR add some contrast and texture and clarity before I cropped.
Then sharpened in Topaz AI - Motion blur. I tried to reduce the sharpening a bit so it did not look over sharpened
bird 2 large-Edit-2 post 2.jpg

Still decent. As Conrad said above, different areas should be treated differently.
If it were my image, and I had the raw, I would first develop in LR, then send it to Photoshop where I would sharpen in 2 or 3 different layers, masking in/out where appropriate.

Last edited:
Still decent.
Is it, though?

As a record shot of a rarity, maybe - but it's still a disappointing, "barely better than nothing" end result, Jim.

I'm not trying to be provocative - I'm well aware that we all have different standards and expectations - but as a bird photographer myself, a finished article like this would only be destined for my Recycle Bin.

Is it, though?

As a record shot of a rarity, maybe - but it's still a disappointing, "barely better than nothing" end result, Jim.

I'm not trying to be provocative - I'm well aware that we all have different standards and expectations - but as a bird photographer myself, a finished article like this would only be destined for my Recycle Bin.
The OP asked a question -- I just want to know is there any software can make attached jpg photo better?
I tried to answer them. I think I did.

Here is the whole bird. I had LR add some contrast and texture and clarity before I cropped.
Then sharpened in Topaz AI - Motion blur. I tried to reduce the sharpening a bit so it did not look over sharpened View attachment 18783
Still decent. As Conrad said above, different areas should be treated differently.
If it were my image, and I had the raw, I would first develop in LR, then send it to Photoshop where I would sharpen in 2 or 3 different layers, masking in/out where appropriate.
Amazing! I so wish LrC could do this.

Jim, he asked:
How to use Lrc to complete it?
Taking him at face value (and knowing what I would mean by "completed", as someone who takes his own bird photography very seriously) cobbling together a barely usable, not at all aesthetically satisfying, end result isn't what I think he wants.

I think he's of the impression (and I've looked at his posting history to inform this opinion) that software can somehow perform miracles on far-from-compelling starting points: I'm simply trying to imply - tactfully, and while I'm not precious about the idea - that there's a fundamental truth to "get it right in camera", and that sometimes you just have to cut your losses.

You simply can't fix what's this broken, and - with respect - you haven't, unless as I suggest above the OP is only interested in obtaining a record shot which will at best serve to help confirm the identity of a rare species.

There isn't a good picture to be had from this raw material.

Last edited:
Bugger - ten minutes of editing time isn't long.

I mentioned the OP's posting history: a thread with a title like "How to edit photos in professional ways?" implies an optimistic degree of ambition with regard to the end results he wants, but it also hints at an assumption that what happens in camera isn't the important part of the process, and I think we're helping more by suggesting otherwise.

Agreed! I'm far from a SOOC photographer. I wish I were. That some of my images are pleasing is more often due to LrC and a dash of creativity. However, if an image is not sharp, information is lost. Nothing can bring it back. Sharpening and AI can only guess at what should there. Above, I marveled at what Topaz AI was able to do with what is essentially a dust bin image, however, in this case, it's not enough. Had the image been even close to sharp, it would have been a great capture.

Sorry Keith, but I'll end my input here. I come from the school of positive education, not negative criticism. I don't know anything about the OP - experience, camera, goals, etc - and I am not going to guess. The OP asked a simple software question, and I tried to answer that. I don't give critiques that are unasked for. If the OP had asked for ways on how to improve their photography of birds, the conversation would have gone in a very different direction. Have a good day.

Then sharpened in Topaz AI - Motion blur. I tried to reduce the sharpening a bit so it did not look over sharpened View attachment 18783
Hi Jimmsp,
Your output photo excited me. I just want to learn how to denoise and sharpen using PS after Lrc and Topaz sharpen.
I have the raw file (CR3).
Please let me know how to send it to you so that I could learn how to use PS to make the best photo.

Hi Jimmsp,
Your output photo excited me. I just want to learn how to denoise and sharpen using PS after Lrc and Topaz sharpen.
I have the raw file (CR3).
Please let me know how to send it to you so that I could learn how to use PS to make the best photo.

I will send you a private message so we can continue the conversation more easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back