• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Preference Control for Compare View

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjlad

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
Compare View defaults to showing the modified image on the left and original on the right, and offers the ability to flip them via the arrow below them.
Personally, my mind prefers original left and modified right since processing is a progression.
Is there any way to set LR so the original is always on the left in Compare View?
Example here of the view, of a runner on a marathon photo that I totally missed focus on and ran through Gigapixel Ai to try recovering some of the runner after a photo of her was requested. I just ran it through Gigapixel Ai at it's native resolution to see if I could get anything salvageable, and was totally astonished at how it recovered enough to make her recognizable.
1654798694199.png

I sent both to her mom so she could let me know if it made her look like someone else, and she reported it was fine. Blew me away.
Anyway ...2 comes after 1 so I'd sure like to have Compare DEFAULT to Original Left-Edit Right. If someone knows how to do that please let me know.
Thanks in advance

When you enter the Compare View, the Active image goes on the left. So, if you want the "original" on the left, click on it in the grid or filmstrip to make it the active image before you go to the compare view.

It's not entirely clear to me which image initially shows up on the right if you have more than 2 selected. It seems to be the leftmost selected image in the filmstrip (excluding the active image), which in turn is based on your sort order. But if you leave the Compare view and then go back to it, it seems to try and pick up where it left off in terms of which images gets placed on the right. I haven't deduced the exact logic it uses for picking the right image in various scenarios and am probably am not going to bother as onr just needs to click on whatever image you want in the film strip.

When you enter the Compare View, the Active image goes on the left. So, if you want the "original" on the left, click on it in the grid or filmstrip to make it the active image before you go to the compare view.

It's not entirely clear to me which image initially shows up on the right if you have more than 2 selected. It seems to be the leftmost selected image in the filmstrip (excluding the active image), which in turn is based on your sort order. But if you leave the Compare view and then go back to it, it seems to try and pick up where it left off in terms of which images gets placed on the right. I haven't deduced the exact logic it uses for picking the right image in various scenarios and am probably am not going to bother as onr just needs to click on whatever image you want in the film strip.
Thanks, but unless I'm misinterpreting that, following your first paragraph results in the original being compared to the NEXT photo in the filmstrip, which is a different photo . :).

Ah ...now I see what you mean. If start by making the original active (which is to the right of the edited one in the film strip) and then use Control Click to select and include the edited one, then click C to compare, the original does appear on the left. Otherwise if I just make the original active and click C for Compare, it, and the photo to the right of it in the film strip end up in the compare view and of course those aren't the same picture.

Looks like one just has to get used to preselecting using the Ctrl-Click method. Kind of counter intuitive, so just being able to change the preference would certainly be preferable, but this does work and I thank you for the help.

Yes. My answer assumed you were preselecting the set of images to be considered by the Compare tool. In other words two or more images. If you only have one image selected (which of cousre would also be the active image) it would go on the left and the next one to it's right in the filmstrip would be put onthe right.

To save a click or two, in your situation, click the image you want on the left then shift click or control click the one you want on the right. Then presss C.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back