Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
Adobe Photoshop Light Room Classic 11.2 Camera Raw 14.2
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I have my photos imported into lightroom and I want to start culling. I use the filmstrip to move from photo to photo highlighting one photo at a time. I use X to mark those I want to delete and > to skip over what I want to keep. LR automatically moves to the next photo in the filmstrip as I use the x or the >. Then I discover that LR is continuously scrolling to the next photo without my using the x or > and it keeps moving on to the next photo until it gets to the end of the files in that filmstrip selection. Nothing I have found will stop the movement through the photos in the filmstrip except rebooting the computer or just waiting for it to get to the last photo in the filmstrip.

I found an old post related to this problem in some early versions of LR. I think 3.2 and back about 2009. It listed no solution. It just seemed to go away as new LR versions were released. It is very annoying since I can't stop it until it has run its course. After which I have to find the photo I had highlighted in the filmstrip when the problem started and then proceed on through the photos using the X and >.

I have the same issue occasionally (for no reason I can fathom) in Develop, and sometimes it just isn't the time to go through reloading (if working on a run of Client images). I have found when it gets to the end of the photos, I can work backwards quite happily. I know that sounds odd, and it isn't a good solution, but it works for me (until I have opportunity to reload at least!)

I've never worked out the circumstances to be able to log it as a bug, it's infrequent and random. For me it's when editing sequentially.

I've had this problem on occasion as well. I'm sure it has to do with system resources. Clear your cache and restart the program. That should fix it. If not, restart your computer following a correct shut down procedure of course.

I've tried suggested solutions. It still happens. Not often but when it happens it is an annoyance and really shuts down the culling process. Once it starts it just jumps from one photo in the filmstrip to the next and cannot be stopped by any means. Once it starts it just keeps going until it reaches the end of the filmstrip. That is really wonderful (sarcasm) if you are working with a filmstrip of several hundred files.

It seems to happen when I am working really rapidly through the photos. It doesn't seem to happen if I slow down to carefully tap the X or the next photo key. Whatever causes it, I have not been able to deliberately make it happen.

Super annoying, certainly.
Lightroom has an auto advance feature that can go wrong.

"To turn the Auto Advance feature on or off, choose Photo > Auto Advance from the menu. You can also turn on Auto Advance by pressing the Caps Lock key. Auto Advance will remain activated until you press the Caps Lock key again."

I'm not sure if this is the issue but worth trying maybe.
Is it possible your system doesn't have enough RAM - it does sound a bit like system resources are being taxed.
Question: is there any difference if you're working with JPG files compared with RAW?
It might also be worthwhile exploring changing how Lightroom displays tumbnails - there are a few options. Possibly you'll find some help here:
https://digital-photography-school....ews are Lightroom's,take the longest to build.

Thanks to those who replied to this. I've pretty much decided to just live with it.

I have used the auto-advance feature and it is while using it that this problem happens. I have 32GB Ram. I only take photos in raw. I display the thumbnails in 1:1 ratio. They load faster and I get a better idea of whether the photo is a keeper or not.

Thanks to those who replied to this. I've pretty much decided to just live with it.

I have used the auto-advance feature and it is while using it that this problem happens. I have 32GB Ram. I only take photos in raw. I display the thumbnails in 1:1 ratio. They load faster and I get a better idea of whether the photo is a keeper or not.
If the only time you experience this is whist using auto advance, it might be worthwhile turning that off, if doing to stops the problem.

Using auto-advance is a big help when going through a lot of photos so the occasional problem with rapidly advancing through all the photos is probably worth the annoyance.

HOWEVER. I think I have discovered the cause. When rapidly advancing through the filmstrip the problem does not happen if I fully press the X key. It happens when pressing the X key just to the point where the X is placed on the selected photo and then releasing the X key before pressing completely and going to the next photo. When the X key is pressed again it completes the move to the next photo and all the remaining photos in the filmstrip. Difficult to explain how it happens but I can repeat it on my computer. I suppose the partial press places the X and then fully pressing the key moves to the next photo.

Oddly, I just had this happen again yesterday - Develop Module, 900 photos to run through, after a couple of dozen LrC just kept flashing through the Filmstrip at the bottom. My disappointment? Brand new machine, different OS (now Monterey), latest version of LrC (11.4.1). And I am absolutely no closer to working out why!

Things brought over from the old system: Wacom Tablet (latest drivers installed), Shuttle Pro (again, later drivers), person using Lightroom. Yes, I know, probably me!!! But I can find no pattern to even start to report as a bug.

Takes a complete machine reload to sort it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back