• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Is it possible to install LrC on a non-boot drive in Windows?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jake9433

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
6.x
Lightroom Version Number
LrC 11.3.1
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
Hi,

I've just been forced to abandon my beloved LR 6 (.14, I believe).
I have subscribed to LrC. When I went to install it I did not find an option to install it on a chosen drive. I would like to keep it off my boot drive. I have a 104 GB boot drive and I try to be vigilant keeping everything off it I can. After installing LrC I'm running it with about 15% free and that is not ideal.
It looks like Adobe has the install very tightly wrapped but maybe one of you knows a way into it?

thanks,
Jake

Hi,

I've just been forced to abandon my beloved LR 6 (.14, I believe).
I have subscribed to LrC. When I went to install it I did not find an option to install it on a chosen drive. I would like to keep it off my boot drive. I have a 104 GB boot drive and I try to be vigilant keeping everything off it I can. After installing LrC I'm running it with about 15% free and that is not ideal.
It looks like Adobe has the install very tightly wrapped but maybe one of you knows a way into it?

thanks,
Jake

Adobe (and most other manufacturers) and Microsoft want programs installed in the Application folder. And IMO that is where they should be. You can relocate the Application folder to a different internal drive. If you have restricted the boot disk to 105GB, I think this is a mistake. The Swap file and Working storage (C:\TEMP). Also default to C:\ by Windows. I think you need at least 100GB free for working storage. I don’t know how much space is consumed by the OS but I would say that it is close to 100GB.
Assuming you do install all of your apps and settings in the primary drive, Lightroom will let you install the Catalog file and previews in a folder on any disk that is mounted. The image file can go on any volume including network volumes. You can not install the catalog on a network drive but that is the nature of using a single user database for a catalog.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

At a time when ssd drives were smaller and a lot more expensive, I tried, with a new build to reserve my system drive for the o/s and installed all apps on a different drive. It was a disaster. In theory it should work, but in practice all kinds of stuff ends up on the system drive. I had so many issues arising so quickly I abandoned the idea and got an SSD drive which was big enough for systems and apps and plenty of spare space for virtual memory and work files.

I keep all my data on a different Data drive, which includes all the Windows Library folders, such as MyDocs,MyPics,etc, my emails and my Lightroom Catalog. That keeps my system and apps drive with the smallest footprint. The smallest I would consider for a system drive would be a 512GB ssd, but these days I would opt for a 1TB system drive. This also facilitates efficient backups of my system drives.

With a system drive which is tight on space, I found I was permanently maintaining my system drive, deleting work files, fine tuning virtual memory space, etc always at the wrong time and probably responsible for sub optimal performance. Lr provides the option to keep the Raw Cache file on a drive of your choosing and Photoshop also gives you choices where you can store various cache files.

Thanks again, Cletus.

I'm not sure why you assumed I restricted the boot drive to 105 GB. It was built that way using an M.2 drive and I choose to buy it for the speed. It is hellishly fast but the size does pinch a bit.
In fact, Win 12 takes about 10 GB to install plus a bunch to run. It is currently running in about 50 GB. Almost all of the core service spaces can be moved - Documents, Downloads, Pictures, Video - and probably some others. It's fairly easy to reset things although a bit obscure.
Most, but not all, software manufacturers allow you to choose where you put their programs and they leave pointers laying around for the services they need to be able to find them, including the OS. Adobe certainly made it early to put LR 6 on another drive. They all - in my experience - do it in the same way, by giving you a choice box that is defaulted to C:\Program Files\xxxxx but that you can change.

So what about LrC?

Jake

At a time when ssd drives were smaller and a lot more expensive, I tried, with a new build to reserve my system drive for the o/s and installed all apps on a different drive. It was a disaster. In theory it should work, but in practice all kinds of stuff ends up on the system drive. I had so many issues arising so quickly I abandoned the idea and got an SSD drive which was big enough for systems and apps and plenty of spare space for virtual memory and work files.

I keep all my data on a different Data drive, which includes all the Windows Library folders, such as MyDocs,MyPics,etc, my emails and my Lightroom Catalog. That keeps my system and apps drive with the smallest footprint. The smallest I would consider for a system drive would be a 512GB ssd, but these days I would opt for a 1TB system drive. This also facilitates efficient backups of my system drives.

With a system drive which is tight on space, I found I was permanently maintaining my system drive, deleting work files, fine tuning virtual memory space, etc always at the wrong time and probably responsible for sub optimal performance. Lr provides the option to keep the Raw Cache file on a drive of your choosing and Photoshop also gives you choices where you can store various cache files.
Thanks, Gnits.
I know the issues you're talking about and I'll just say that my system has been smooth-sailing for about two years with, other than one issue, the only attention needed being to always attempt to install programs on my "Programs" drive (F:) and aim data to my "Data" drive (D:).
That issue is BackBlaze. It requires operation from the boot drive and builds a cache there. I'm backing up about 16 TB so that's an issue. THAT's why I'm building a new machine with a larger ssd boot drive.

Now, back to LrC. Does anyone know how to install it where I want it?

thanks,
Jake

Now, back to LrC. Does anyone know how to install it where I want it?

Uninstall whatever apps from your Photography Plan subscription that you have installed already using the Creative Cloud desktop app, then go to the Preferences of the Creative Cloud desktop app, open the Apps tab and there you should find the option to change the installation location.

Uninstall whatever apps from your Photography Plan subscription that you have installed already using the Creative Cloud desktop app, then go to the Preferences of the Creative Cloud desktop app, open the Apps tab and there you should find the option to change the installation location.
Thanks so much, Jim!

What Jim suggested worked fine.
That's 2.6 GB of stuff off of my small boot drive! Thanks!

Jake
@Jake9433

I'm not trying to spend your money but I think you would be well-served by replacing your current drive with a 512 GB or even a TB SSD drive.

Dependng on your comfort level with PC hardware, you might need a friend to help you with the replacement. Here is a Canadian website where you can explore different products. In general, Samsung drives are highly regarded, but are more expensive than alternatives. Be sure to avoid the "no name" brands, even if the cost is lower.

If you want, you can get a case for your old drive, and use it as a USB external drive, but such a small drive (by today's standards) may not be that useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back