• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Are you using the cloud-based Lightroom apps for iOS, Android, Windows, Mac, and Web? Then you'll love my book, Adobe Lightroom - Edit on the Go!

You'll learn how to use the Lightroom cloud ecosystem to organize, edit and share your photos. You'll also come to understand the thought processes used by professional photographers when they're editing their own photos, so you can transform your photos quickly and easily. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Gallery vs Portfolio

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdvRider329

Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Web, Lightroom 5.1, Lightroom Classic 11.1
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I am a photo hobbyist (not professional). In my workflow, I use all versions of lightroom. In sharing photos, I seem to have inadvertently shared some as Galleries and some through Portfolio.

What is the difference between Galleries and Portfolios? Obviously, they look different, but why 2 web publishing models. Do they have different purposes? I only see references to Galleries from the web version of Lightroom.

My portfolio is here: https://geraldstowers.myportfolio.com/
My Gallery is here: https://lightroom.adobe.com/gallery/75d0e183a873431cac5addb13c8f4883

1640363923248.png

Gallery is an option available via Lightroom for the web. It allows to to create and share a Photo Gallery publicly.

Portfolio lets you build a complete photo related website. Or several. You can even purchase your own domain instead of sharing through Adobe.com. Portfolio has a direct link to your Lightroom Albums making it easy to add photos through Lightroom. In addition to Lightroom for the Web galleries and Portfolio, there is Behance. Behance seems to be a product for Professional graphic artists to showcase their work Behance is a product that Adobe Acquired several years ago. Portfolio might also be an acquisition, I’m not sure.

I’m not sure where Adobe is headed with these products, but the potential is there for some outstanding websites.

My Portfolio Website:

https://cletuslee.work

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I’m a hobbyist as well, but I wanted something nicer to show my photos on the web. Flickr, Google Photos, etc. didn’t cut it. I discovered Portfolio and played around with the options to get something I liked. With the basic structure in place, it’s a snap to add new photos from Lightroom.

Here’s my site: https://photos.gadgetcoma.com.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Both of your linked portfolios are very nice. Five or so years ago, I tried Portfolio, got frustrated and gave up. I'm thinking of trying it again. My Portfolio page was still there, indicating I last edited it in 2016. This time, I found a way to delete it, as I was unable to do so back then. I notice that Adobe's "Build your own online portfolio in minutes" page has not been updated since 2016. This was my main issue then, and I still see now that a step it specifies is not on the site. Is there a better "dummies" guide available than Adobe's instructions?

I am replying to my own post as I cannot find a way to edit my own post here. I just stried 4 times to restart a Portfolio build, using 2 different browsers, just to complete the contacts page, to no success. I might need to wait another 5-6 years to try again. Now I remember my frustrations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back