• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

What files do I need??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kimmilly

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. macOS 12 Monterey
I have moved to an external hard drive and moved all the photos and the catalogue so that I can change between my MacBook and my iMac. I have ticked the box that says "store presets with this catalog". I would just like to make sure that I have all the files that I would need. Is there a list because when I look at the two places where I think the files are kept, they are different.

Is there a standard set of where the files should be??

thanks

Kim

Ticking the box labeled "Store Presets with catalog only creates an empty folder where any NEW presets will reside. these folders need to be copied from the global location: /Users/[UserID]/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Lightroom/... to the Lightroom Settings folder in the Lightroom folder on the EHD. Note that not all of the Lightroom Settings are stored in the Local LightroomSettings folder. Those that aren't are not significant to cause a problem eosin the same EHD for Catalog, images and Presets.

Develop presets are now stored in "/Users/[UserID]/Library/Application Support/Adobe/CameraRaw/Settings/..." These will not be found in the Lightroom Settings folder on the EHD but must be duplicated on both machines with additions managed manually.

In preferences, you can find the locations on the Presets tab

Develop presets are now stored in "/Users/[UserID]/Library/Application Support/Adobe/CameraRaw/Settings/..." These will not be found in the Lightroom Settings folder on the EHD but must be duplicated on both machines with additions managed manually.
That's no longer the case. When the new presets system was introduced (version 7.3?), the Store Presets with this Catalog option was amended so that the user's Develop Presets are now automatically copied to the Lightroom Settings folder (and placed in a sub-folder called Settings) when the option was enabled. Similarly, unchecking that option should also copy any newly created Develop presets back to the default folder on the system drive.

But you are right about all the other preset types....they are still not copied by Classic, they have to be manually copied by the user.

That's no longer the case. When the new presets system was introduced (version 7.3?), the Store Presets with this Catalog option was amended so that the user's Develop Presets are now automatically copied to the Lightroom Settings folder (and placed in a sub-folder called Settings) when the option was enabled. Similarly, unchecking that option should also copy any newly created Develop presets back to the default folder on the system drive.

But you are right about all the other preset types....they are still not copied by Classic, they have to be manually copied by the user.

Good to know. I knew that the Develop Presets had moved. I did not know that Adobe automatically repositioned them based upon the flag. Why Adobe did not automatically copy the other presets has always baffled me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back