• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Masks as Presets

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArranDCB

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
Classic 11.1
Operating System
  1. macOS 12 Monterey
I am really enjoying Lightroom's new selections and masking capabilities but I am struggling to save masks as presets in a newly named group. Here's my workflow;
  1. I create a colour range mask.
  2. I name it 'All Mono but Leaves'
  3. I go to Develop/New Preset
  4. In the new window, in Preset Name I am offered "Unnamed Preset" in the group "User Presets"
  5. I select "Check None" and then select "Masks" and "All Mono but Leaves"
  6. I then go to "Unnamed Preset" and rename it to "All Mono but Leaves"
  7. I then go to the group to and select "New Group"
  8. I try and rename the new group to eg "LR Masks" BUT I cannot save that name. The new group can not be saved and my only option is to save the preset in "User Presets" which I don't want to do.
Can anyone help with this. I know I am missing something simple but I can't work it out.

TIA

David Brookens

Hi David

I'm not able to repro here (on Big Sur but can't see that makes any difference) - try creating the new Group first, then drag the mask to it? It breaks down the steps, might reveal where it's tripping up.

Thanks for this Paul (and for the email) but I can't do that either. I click on the + button Presets folder but the only option I get is "Create Preset" which takes me back to step 4 in my list.

Okay, that's helpful actually - means it's not to do with Masks in Presets!

So, just to clarify steps that work for me (just making a Group):

Hit + on Presets in Develop
Dropdown Group: select New Group
Give it a name (is this where it fails for you?)
Create
Then hit Create again for the preset

Where does it fail for you?

When I click + on the Presets folder the only options I get in the dropdown are "Create Presets", "Import Presets" and "Manage Presets"

(Sorry Paul I've responded to the email as well. Confusing. I'll stick with the forum)

Sorry, missed one important expression!!!

Hit + on Presets in Develop and Create Preset
Dropdown Group: select New Group
Give it a name (is this where it fails for you?)
Create
Then hit Create again for the preset

Got it Paul!! I was inserting a (space) between "LR" and "Masks" in the group name. Now I've named the group LRMasks - no space - and that's it sorted .
Hardly intuitive but "Euf'inreka"!
Thanks for your help

David

PS This is probably covered in Vitoria's book (and I should probably have found it) but if not it might be worthy of a mention

Hi David

Most odd, I can create a Group with a space - we'll check if that's a bug when using Monterey (I'm on Big Sur)

You can then rename the Group...

PS Paul
I got this from the Facebook group "Lightroom Help Group - Intermediate and Advanced. It transpires that in my preferences/file handling I had set "spaces to be replaced with underscores". I don't recall having that in Big Sur but I can't be certain. I've reset it now to "Leave as is" so it should not arise again. What a puzzler.

Thanks for the help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back