• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

How to Flag/Unflag Active Photo Not Selected Photos

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidYoung600

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. macOS 11 Big Sur
Is there a way to flag or unflag only the active photo, not the selected photos? I like to select a group of photos to go through (say a series of a few dozen, out of a folder with many hundreds of photos), so that I can quickly flip through them using the arrow keys. That way, when I get to the end of the group it just wraps around back to the first photo in the group, and I can easily make multiple passes through them. I'd like to be able to flag or unflag only the currently active photo, without changing the flag status of the other photos that are selected, and without losing my selection. Currently, I can do this by hitting F to fullscreen view the active photo, hit X, U, or P to set the flag of that photo, then hit F again to return to loupe view. It works, but I'd love to have a faster, more elegant method.

one easy way is to click the letters "e. p, g" (one at a time, not all at once) on the keyboard to flag an image or "e, u, g" to unflag an image. (e= loupe view, p=pick or flag, u=unflag, g=return to grid view.

Is there a way to flag or unflag only the active photo, not the selected photos? I like to select a group of photos to go through (say a series of a few dozen, out of a folder with many hundreds of photos), so that I can quickly flip through them using the arrow keys. That way, when I get to the end of the group it just wraps around back to the first photo in the group, and I can easily make multiple passes through them. I'd like to be able to flag or unflag only the currently active photo, without changing the flag status of the other photos that are selected, and without losing my selection. Currently, I can do this by hitting F to fullscreen view the active photo, hit X, U, or P to set the flag of that photo, then hit F again to return to loupe view. It works, but I'd love to have a faster, more elegant method.
In the metadata panel, there are two new buttons that do just that: define whether an action applies to all selected photos or just the active photo. I assume that applies to flags too. I can’t post a screenshot because I type this on my iPad.

In the metadata panel, there are two new buttons that do just that: define whether an action applies to all selected photos or just the active photo. I assume that applies to flags too.
It doesn't appear to apply to flags....they get applied to all selected images (in Grid view) no matter which of those two options are selected. I don't know if that's a bug or a design "feature".

But in terms of the initial problem, surely the simple solution is to work through the selected images while in Loupe view (no need to go to full-screen mode). In Loupe mode the flag is only set on the most selected image (i.e. the Loupe image) and is not applied to all the other selected images, as @Califdan suggests.

If you absolutely require to be working in the Grid view, then I'd suggest using the Quick Collection for this purpose, i.e. select the images, hit B to add them to the Quick Collection, switch to the Quick Collection, then deselect the images, then start moving through them to apply the flags. With no multiple images selected, only the active image would get the flag.

or give your prelim selection a 1 star rating and just select the 1 star images for your pick or reject process.

It doesn't appear to apply to flags....they get applied to all selected images (in Grid view) no matter which of those two options are selected. I don't know if that's a bug or a design "feature".

But in terms of the initial problem, surely the simple solution is to work through the selected images while in Loupe view (no need to go to full-screen mode). In Loupe mode the flag is only set on the most selected image (i.e. the Loupe image) and is not applied to all the other selected images, as @Califdan suggests.

If you absolutely require to be working in the Grid view, then I'd suggest using the Quick Collection for this purpose, i.e. select the images, hit B to add them to the Quick Collection, switch to the Quick Collection, then deselect the images, then start moving through them to apply the flags. With no multiple images selected, only the active image would get the flag.
I should have explained in my initial post, I am working thru the photos in Loupe view. Unfortunately, what you describe is not the behavior that I'm seeing. Just now I selected 5 photos in the filmstrip, while in loupe mode. The first photo becomes the "active" photo and is shown in the loupe, and has a brighter highlight in the filmstrip view. I hit P, and ALL 5 selected photos become flagged, not just the active photo shown in the loupe. Is there some setting that changes this behavior?

Thank you for your idea for using the Quick Collection, I'll try that as an alternative.

one easy way is to click the letters "e. p, g" (one at a time, not all at once) on the keyboard to flag an image or "e, u, g" to unflag an image. (e= loupe view, p=pick or flag, u=unflag, g=return to grid view.
I should have explained in my initial post, I am already working thru the photos in Loupe view, not Grid. When I hit P, U, or X while in loupe view, the flag gets applied to all of the photos that are selected in the filmstrip, not just to the active photo shown in the loupe. Is there some setting that changes this behavior?

I should have explained in my initial post, I am already working thru the photos in Loupe view, not Grid. When I hit P, U, or X while in loupe view, the flag gets applied to all of the photos that are selected in the filmstrip, not just to the active photo shown in the loupe. Is there some setting that changes this behavior?
I can't reproduce that and that should not happen. Perhaps you need to reset your preferences: https://www.lightroomqueen.com/how-do-i-reset-lightrooms-preferences/

I can't reproduce that and that should not happen. Perhaps you need to reset your preferences: https://www.lightroomqueen.com/how-do-i-reset-lightrooms-preferences/
Thank you, you were correct in your first response. It turns out that the "Enable auto-sync changes to all selected images" was in fact turned on in my metadata/keyword panel. I turned it off, and now when I hit P, U, or X in loupe view only the flags for the active photo gets changed. Thank you so much, you solved my problem!

Turns out my "Enable auto-sync changes to all selected images" was turned on in my metadata/keyword panel, causing flag changes to affect all selected photos in loupe view. Turned that off, and now I get the behavior I want. Thanks.

Turns out my "Enable auto-sync changes to all selected images" was turned on in my metadata/keyword panel, causing flag changes to affect all selected photos in loupe view. Turned that off, and now I get the behavior I want. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back