• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Catalogs Duplicate catalog, but structure only, not the images

Status
Not open for further replies.

MuchFun

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
LrC 11.1
Operating System
  1. macOS 11 Big Sur
Hi there,
I bought a new camera, and therefore I think, it might be a good idea to start with a new catalog... So, is there a way to duplicate the structure of my current catalog (incl. smart collections, presets etc) , but without the images ?
Thanks in advance, Michael

Put a single “transfer” photo into all the (normal) collections of your current catalog you want your new catalog to contain. Put this single photo into a new collection as well. Right click on it and choose to export this collection as a catalog. Choose to include negative files. Your new catalog will include all the collections and smart collections of the old catalog. You can delete this single photo from the new catalog.

As far as the various presets are concerned they are mostly stored globally, depending on your settings. If you find a subfolder named “Lightroom settings” inside your current catalog folder, copy it inside the folder of the new catalog - overwriting any existing one in this location.

I wouldn’t advise you to use separate catalogs, though. You can always use the library filter or a smart collection to filter your photos by cameras.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Simply make a copy of your catalog file only, and place it in a new folder. Open it in Lightroom, go to “All Photographs”, select all images and remove them from the catalog. If you store your presets in the default location, then you do not have to do anything to keep them. If you stored them with the catalog, then copy the presets folder too.

Hi there,
I bought a new camera, and therefore I think, it might be a good idea to start with a new catalog...
Ask yourself why you think that, because most of us would advise you not to do so.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back