• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Library module How do I integrate facial recognition in to Photo Mechanic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeff_8

Premium Classic Member
How do I integrate Lightroom facial recognition into photo mechanic plus?

I don’t use Photo Mechanic. But it is a separate app not connected to Lightroom Classic. PM users might correct me but AFAIK it does not do facial recognition. Photo Mechanic is used as a Front end app prior to importing into Lightroom Classic. Facial recognition will happen in the Lightroom Classic part of your workflow.

I don't think you can, not in any particularly-useful way.

I notice that you say PM+ which is the new database-driven version of PM - so not the front end browser. Using it as well as LR seems odd, as both are DAMs and there's really no point having two competing cataloguing apps.

Anyway, in Lr you can save metadata to files, which will save the face recognition keywords to the photos' xmp, and PM+ should be able to read those keywords. I'd be surprised if PM+ has the ability to read the facial area metadata, so all I think you can do is get keywording into PM+.

I don't think you can, not in any particularly-useful way.

I notice that you say PM+ which is the new database-driven version of PM - so not the front end browser. Using it as well as LR seems odd, as both are DAMs and there's really no point having two competing cataloguing apps.

Anyway, in Lr you can save metadata to files, which will save the face recognition keywords to the photos' xmp, and PM+ should be able to read those keywords. I'd be surprised if PM+ has the ability to read the facial area metadata, so all I think you can do is get keywording into PM+.
If/when/ever PM+ could do decent enough Facial Recognition, I would contemplate buying it for just that feature. Otherwise, having two competing DAMs is much more trouble than it's worth. Years ago, I tried using Photo Supreme, primarily a DAM, in parallel with the DAM in Lightroom. Tried and gave up.

If you do face recognition in LrC, those "faces" are identified with keywords with the "person" attribute checked. But, it is still just a keyword. Like others, I don't have PM, but I assume that if you then invoke PM from LrC, those keywords would go along with the image. If you get the image over to PM some other way, make sure that the metadata (including "people" keywords) comes along with it (you may have to save Metadata to the file in LrC first depending on how your workflow is set up). This should bring along the keyword or tag or whatever they call it in PM. I don't know if Face location data is a standard part of XMP or not and even if it is if PM deals with it so it is somewhat likely that once in PM you'd still have the keyword but it would not indicate which part of the image that particular face is in. But, like I said, I don't have PM so this is just best guess on my part.

The way you get face recognition metadata to PM+ is by saving back to the file (CmdS or CtrlS) which saves metadata in xmp format. This xmp includes LR's person keywords, of course, but it also includes the face region data in a standard format. PM+ would be able to read this - but I'd be very surprised if it did so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back