• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

how to link multiple masks

Status
Not open for further replies.

L Robbin

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
5.x
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. macOS 12 Monterey
I've google and watched youtube videos, but either haven't understood or haven't found how to...
to link several selections - say, the Subject plus another two areas with radial masks - together, in effect, one mask; then invert it and then make picture processing changes.

It's the linking together together I'm not sure about. Do I use intersect to link additional masks into one new mask. And then is inverting that new larger mask a simple action?

It's early days in learning 11.1's masking capabilities, but a leg up would get me over the hump and get me back sooner to working on my pictures.

Meanwhile, I'm still looking and hope to find a simple explanation.

Have you looked at the new "Develop Masking" chapter in your Missing FAQ book? That will provide much more comprehensive guidance than you'll get from any responses here.

Yup. Get a feel for the new masking. Putting those two areas in the same mask as the subject will solve it. There’s a section at the end of the chapter about combining masks, feel free to ask if anything unclear.

Specifically... Let's say, I make a mask with the subject selection. I make changes there. Then I make another using the radial selection and make changes there. Then I make a brush mask and then make changes there. Now I want to tie these three mask selections together, then invert that "new mask" which is the combination of the three above selection. And then I can process the area (the inverted area that is left over).
I read the new chapter. But, for some reason, did not comprehend after reading the new chapter, how to do the above.

Specifically... Let's say, I make a mask with the subject selection. I make changes there. Then I make another using the radial selection and make changes there. Then I make a brush mask and then make changes there. Now I want to tie these three mask selections together, then invert that "new mask" which is the combination of the three above selection. And then I can process the area (the inverted area that is left over).
I read the new chapter. But, for some reason, did not comprehend after reading the new chapter, how to do the above.
You can’t. If I understand you correctly, you created three different masks, each with their own adjustments. If you would be able to merge these masks like you can merge layers in Photoshop, which adjustments would the merged mask have?

Just the word can't was all I needed to hear - and yes, I was thinking PS. Thanks for that.

Also, even if you put several selections into one mask (e.g. a subject selection agumented with brush selections), there is no "Invert" option at the mask level, only on each individual selection which is not the same. Read about how to achieve a Mask level "invert" in the FAQ book.

John, Thanks for the update on the "Copy Settings" plugin. I'll have to give it try and as I'm sure it will work exactly as you describe (your plugins always do) I'll add it to my list of plugins to suggest to clients.

I will re-read the new chapters to the LRQ book.

I think there's one way you could do it using LR alone, if I've followed you correctly (but I bet John's plug-in is simpler). You could duplicate the first mask and invert it, then copy the selections from the other two masks into that first mask and toggle them to subtract. Or something along those lines... it does require more mental juggling than any of us enjoy!

Thanks everybody.
For me, the issue was that I was bringing my mental model of working with selections in PS over to LR 11.1. But that doesn't work.
I just have to put in the study in the guide and elsewhere and especially look at specific examples of LR masking,- especially, complex masking - until I have a mental model of masking in LR. I'm fascinated by the difference in masking in PS and LR and temporarily "stuck". There's an example I where the teacher first created a radial mask over a person, made some adjustments, the intersected it with a subject mask and then - like magic - a great look is created. That's so different from PS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back