• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Are you using the cloud-based Lightroom apps for iOS, Android, Windows, Mac, and Web? Then you'll love my book, Adobe Lightroom - Edit on the Go!

You'll learn how to use the Lightroom cloud ecosystem to organize, edit and share your photos. You'll also come to understand the thought processes used by professional photographers when they're editing their own photos, so you can transform your photos quickly and easily. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

"Deleted" photos still on iPhone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

golfbravo

Premium Classic Member
Premium Cloud Member
Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
CC 11.1 LR iPhone 13 Pro Max
Operating System
  1. macOS 12 Monterey
  2. iOS
I recently got an iPhone 13 and am determined to use it to shoot more.

In the downtime in hotel rooms, I have sync working form iPhone to Classic on my notebook. I rearranged the sync'd images in CC, renamed folders and moved them out of the sync folder chain. I assume they are safe form Sync now. I also deleted a bunch that are not required in CC.

Here is the problem I'm wrestling with: All of the above photos that I moved/deleted in CC are STILL on the iPhone. Both CC and iPhone report sync as up to date.

What am I missing here?

Cheers

Graham

I have several questions:

1. What is "CC"? You've used both the terms "Classic" and "CC", implying different apps, but I suspect you mean the same app, so can you confirm that? For the record, there is no longer any version of Lightroom which includes "CC" in the title, and as "CC" was previously used for both the subscription version of LR6 (called CC2015), i.e. the forerunner of LrClassic, and the newer cloud-centric version of Lightroom, it's continued use just causes even more confusion that the original name change did. If you need a shorter version of the name "Lightroom Classic" than simply "Classic", the term "LrC" is now widely understood.

2. You said you have sync working "from iPhone to Classic", so precisely how are you doing that? Are you using the Lightroom Mobile app on the iPhone to sync the phone captures to the cloud, which then sync down into Classic, or something else? Which camera are you using on the iPhone, the native phone camera or the LrMobile camera?

3. "I rearranged the synced images in CC" (which I assume you mean Classic, yes?). So what does that exactly mean? And what do you mean by "moved them out of the sync folder chain"? Moving synced images out of the "sync folder" in LrC does NOT affect their sync status....the "sync folder" is merely the folder that any new synced images are initially stored in on arrival in Classic, but moving them into different folders doesn't change that synced status. The only way to "unsync" an image in Classic, whilst keeping it in Classic, is to remove it from the All Synced Photographs special collection (in the Catalog panel), if you do that the images that you "unsync" are then deleted from the cloud.

4. "All of the above photos that I moved/deleted are still on the iPhone"...this needs to be clarified. Where on the iPhone do you see them? If you mean the Camera Roll (i.e. you captured the images initially using the native camera), be aware that deleting synced images from the cloud will not delete the originals from the Camera Roll, the LrMobile app cannot do that. If you mean they are still in the LrMobile app on the phone, that would suggest that they are still synced, i.e. you have not yet "unsynced" them in Classic.

I have several questions:

1. What is "CC"? You've used both the terms "Classic" and "CC", implying different apps, but I suspect you mean the same app, so can you confirm that? For the record, there is no longer any version of Lightroom which includes "CC" in the title, and as "CC" was previously used for both the subscription version of LR6 (called CC2015), i.e. the forerunner of LrClassic, and the newer cloud-centric version of Lightroom, it's continued use just causes even more confusion that the original name change did. If you need a shorter version of the name "Lightroom Classic" than simply "Classic", the term "LrC" is now widely understood.
I inadvertently reverted to CC. It is Classic, as noted in the heading to my OP, 11.1 and LRiPhone. For the avoidance of doubt, this is entirely within the Adobe LR / Cloud ecosystem.

2. You said you have sync working "from iPhone to Classic", so precisely how are you doing that? Are you using the Lightroom Mobile app on the iPhone to sync the phone captures to the cloud, which then sync down into Classic, or something else? Which camera are you using on the iPhone, the native phone camera or the LrMobile camera?
Again LR - completely within the LR ecosystem.

3. "I rearranged the synced images in CC" (which I assume you mean Classic, yes?). So what does that exactly mean? And what do you mean by "moved them out of the sync folder chain"? Moving synced images out of the "sync folder" in LrC does NOT affect their sync status....the "sync folder" is merely the folder that any new synced images are initially stored in on arrival in Classic, but moving them into different folders doesn't change that synced status. The only way to "unsync" an image in Classic, whilst keeping it in Classic, is to remove it from the All Synced Photographs special collection (in the Catalog panel), if you do that the images that you "unsync" are then deleted from the cloud.

Ah, that seems to be the key piece of information, thanks. For clarification, removing images from 'All Synced Photos' catalog will leave the "new" structure of folders I created with copies of the synced images in LrC?

Cheers

For clarification, removing images from 'All Synced Photos' catalog will leave the "new" structure of folders I created with copies of the synced images in LrC?
Yes that's correct. The only other thing to be aware about is that, if the synced image is also within an existing synced collection in LrC, when you "unsync" it by removing it from the "All Synced Photographs" special collection, by rule it cannot continue to exist within a synced collection so it would be removed from any such synced collection(s). It is never deleted from the LrC catalog however.

Thanks, that sneaky little catalogue was the key.

There seems to be limited information on LRmobile, I'll dig through Victoria's books!
Much appreciated.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back