• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Traveling with lightroom catelog

Status
Not open for further replies.

aiharris

Lightroom Version Number
Currently on 8.2.1 but my next task is to upgrade.
Operating System
  1. macOS 12 Monterey
I have spent the last few months collecting all of my digital images, and have successfully done so, but the catalogue is 2.75 TB. I recently bought a massive laptop that can carry the whole DB.

I'd like to be able to carry the DB with me on my laptop to be able to organize/edit images in my "copious spare time" but not be obligated to copy the whole DB back and forth with my home desktop machine when I return home. Conversely, if I've spent time editing on my desktop, not have to copy the whole DB to my laptop when I travel.

Chronosync has been suggested for accomplishing this goal. I don't need another "backup" as I have both Retrospect and Time Machine already.

Does anybody have experience using Chronosync in this manner? Tips/Tricks? I really would prefer NOT to use a cloud based sync method, even if they wouldn't choke on the size of the DB.

Thanks from a newbie to this forum.

Adam

Consider placing your catalog and images on an external disk, that you then use with both computers.

Consider syncing your catalog with the Adobe Cloud and using Lightroom (mobile) to access proxy images in the cloud to continue your editing process. I would recommend simply marking cloud version to be deleted with the Rejected Flag (X) and do the actual delete on the master Lightroom Classic catalog at home.

Consider syncing your catalog with the Adobe Cloud and using Lightroom (mobile) to access proxy images in the cloud to continue your editing process. I would recommend simply marking cloud version to be deleted with the Rejected Flag (X) and do the actual delete on the master Lightroom Classic catalog at home.
I would really prefer not to have the DB in the cloud.

I would really prefer not to have the DB in the cloud.

The master catalog and all of the master images remain locally on your master computer. These images are sync’s to a proxy image in the Adobe cloud. You have unlimited. Storage in the Adobe cloud for these proxy images. Any adjustments that you make to the cloud versions are sync’d back to the Master catalog.

I work remotely with a 12.9” iPadPro instead of the 13” MBP that I used to carry on trips.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks. The issue though with that is that a disk big enough to carry that size DB and be fast enough to use practically, needs power. Awkward to use on airplanes etc.
How many images does your catalog contain? I have a bus-powered 4 TB disk connected to my MacBook Pro. Your catalog isn’t 2.7 TB, but the catalog folder may be that large. Most of that will be previews however, which you can discard. Lightroom will rebuild what it needs. You also do not need the original images, and quite frankly I think that is what takes the 2.7 TB, not your database nor your catalog folder. You can use smart previews instead of originals.

I'd like to be able to carry the DB with me on my laptop to be able to organize/edit images in my "copious spare time"
Your title states 'traveling' but you will be the one to identify if you will have 'copious time' to work on any images other than those you take in your travels.

FWIW, my travel computer is an old 2009 MACbook running LR6 (latest I can run). I download my photos there, work on them a bit, and have XMP side-cars enabled. This also acts as a backup to my SD cards. When I get back home, I import the RAW files and make sure the XMP is in the same directory so that LrC finds my adjustments. True, I don't have the development history but do have the settings.

I find this works best for me but am keeping @clee01l approach of traveling with a large iPad in consideration for the future.

I have spent the last few months collecting all of my digital images, and have successfully done so, but the catalogue is 2.75 TB. I recently bought a massive laptop that can carry the whole DB.

I'd like to be able to carry the DB with me on my laptop to be able to organize/edit images in my "copious spare time" but not be obligated to copy the whole DB back and forth with my home desktop machine when I return home. Conversely, if I've spent time editing on my desktop, not have to copy the whole DB to my laptop when I travel.

Chronosync has been suggested for accomplishing this goal. I don't need another "backup" as I have both Retrospect and Time Machine already.

Does anybody have experience using Chronosync in this manner? Tips/Tricks? I really would prefer NOT to use a cloud based sync method, even if they wouldn't choke on the size of the DB.

Thanks from a newbie to this forum.

Adam
I use Johan Elzenga's solution. I keep my images and my catalog on an credit card size 5TB Samsung SSD. It has the added advantage of being able to connect to my phone. In order to keep from running out of space I have HHD I use to archive old images (older than 10 years. I move them from the SSD using LrC so that way they remain in my catalog just not readily available so If I need them I have to reattach the HDD. Hope this helps.

How many images does your catalog contain? I have a bus-powered 4 TB disk connected to my MacBook Pro. Your catalog isn’t 2.7 TB, but the catalog folder may be that large. Most of that will be previews however, which you can discard. Lightroom will rebuild what it needs. You also do not need the original images, and quite frankly I think that is what takes the 2.7 TB, not your database nor your catalog folder. You can use smart previews instead of originals.
Hi John, I thought the catalog had to be on same drive as smart previews? For example, I exclusively use my laptop. I no longer have a desktop. But I still keep my images and catalog on an external SSD. I would love to be able to use smart previews to edit, add keywords etc without having to attach my ext SSD but doesn't smart previews have to stay with catalog or can I tell LrC to keep previews on computer? I asked this same question in another thread too, sorry.

Hi John, I thought the catalog had to be on same drive as smart previews? For example, I exclusively use my laptop. I no longer have a desktop. But I still keep my images and catalog on an external SSD. I would love to be able to use smart previews to edit, add keywords etc without having to attach my ext SSD but doesn't smart previews have to stay with catalog or can I tell LrC to keep previews on computer? I asked this same question in another thread too, sorry.
Yes, smart previews are stored inside the catalog folder and have to remain there. But your originals do not have to be on the same drive. Your catalog and smart previews could be on your internal drive, while the original images are on the SSD. That allows you to travel without the SSD, and still be able to edit the images. You can also organise them with collections and smart collections while you travel, you can just not reorganise your folders.

I am beginning to get confused about what you want, however. In your original message you say:
But now you suddenly say quite the opposite:
For example, I exclusively use my laptop. I no longer have a desktop.
So what is it? Do you, or do you not have to move between computers? That makes a world of difference in the possible solutions!

Yes, smart previews are stored inside the catalog folder and have to remain there. But your originals do not have to be on the same drive. Your catalog and smart previews could be on your internal drive, while the original images are on the SSD. That allows you to travel without the SSD, and still be able to edit the images. You can also organise them with collections and smart collections while you travel, you can just not reorganise your folders.

I am beginning to get confused about what you want, however. In your original message you say:

But now you suddenly say quite the opposite:

So what is it? Do you, or do you not have to move between computers? That makes a world of difference in the possible solutions!
John, first I'm not the original poster. So yes you are confused in that regard. Secondly, I am asking about location of smart previews because I want to know if it is possible to keep smart previews on internal hard drive while keeping catalog and original images on external drive. You have confirmed it is NOT possible to keep smart previews separated from the catalog. So, on that you are NOT confused. Hope I cleared things up for you. Sorry I confused you.

John, first I'm not the original poster.
Ah, sorry, I missed that. That is why I hate it when people break into an existing thread asking a question that may be related but is not the same. Don’t do this please, especially not when you already asked the same question in a separate thread.

Ah, sorry, I missed that. That is why I hate it when people break into an existing thread asking a question that may be related but is not the same. Don’t do this please, especially not when you already asked the same question in a separate thread.
Perhaps reading who posted or replied to post might help. Did I break a rule? I will not comply to your request. If the administration would like to refund my subscription fees I'd be happy to accept it.

Perhaps reading who posted or replied to post might help. Did I break a rule? I will not comply to your request. If the administration would like to refund my subscription fees I'd be happy to accept it.
Uh, speaking for myself only:

(1) Johan is one of the most prolific contributors to this forum, and we all respect his expertise and the time he gives to this forum. I think it would be helpful if you accorded Johan the respect he deserves.
(2) As Victoria says, "We are a friendly bunch here," and pretty much that is all true. We may disagree at times (including me with Johan) but it's all done politely and with respect.

PhilBurton,
You obviously disagree and apparently don't care but I felt attacked and disrespected. That's all I have left to say on the subject.

PhilBurton,
You obviously disagree and apparently don't care but I felt attacked and disrespected. That's all I have left to say on the subject.
I got confused because I missed that you were not the OP. So I said sorry for that. Then I simply asked you not to cross post: you had already asked your question in a separate thread, so there was no reason to do that in this thread as well. Cross posting is frowned upon in any forum. I fail to see how asking a simple question about observing forum etiquette is attacking you or showing disrespect.

I got confused because I missed that you were not the OP. So I said sorry for that. Then I simply asked you not to cross post: you had already asked your question in a separate thread, so there was no reason to do that in this thread as well. Cross posting is frowned upon in any forum. I fail to see how asking a simple question about observing forum etiquette is attacking you or showing disrespect.
I was responding to cleo... who responded to a question I entered about the subject. What you responded to was my response to the OP and I don't feel your dig about hating when people respond to other peoples questions was appropriate and I doubt responding to questions is considered bad etiquette. After all isn't that what the forum is for? Besides, are forum "Gurus" the only people allowed to respond to questions? The fact you responded to me instead of original poster is your fault because it clearly showed I wrote the reply to the OP. Since you and some of the others interact with so many people and I'm sure answer the same questions sometimes asked in a different way or by people new to forum who don't always search to see if question has asked answered (which I try to search first). I think you and at least one other "guru" lose your perspective and your patience and have no sensitivity toward how you word your responses and have no tolerance for people that have a different point of view or different reference.

Did I break a rule? I will not comply to your request.
For reference, yes, cross-posting in multiple threads is under the Terms & Rules here: https://www.lightroomqueen.com/community/help/crossposts/

I am closing this thread as the tone of the thread has deteriorated. (Adam @aiharris please feel free to start another thread if you have any further questions.)

If anyone has a problem with a post in future, please feel free to use the Report button on the post so it can be considered and dealt with by the moderation team.

For reference, here are the forum rules. We kindly ask that everyone re-read and comply with these rules, to maintain the happy tolerant atmosphere that we've come to enjoy here. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back