• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Syncing metadata. Camera info missing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martin Owen

Premium Classic Member
Premium Cloud Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic 11.0.1
Operating System
  1. macOS 12 Monterey
I have a number of questions about metadata with the current (11.0.1) version of LRC. My workflow is to import photos from the memory card into LR Mobile on an iPad Pro when I’m traveling and allow the images to sync to Adobe Cloud and then down to LRC on my iMac running Monterey. Once on the iMac I notice that the GPS info from my Canon EOS 5D IV (which is correct and shows on the iPad) is mostly overwritten (but not always) in LRC to show my home address and GPS data. Obviously I overwrite this where needed. The correct camera and lens data plus the correct exposure info are shown. Then I often use DeNoise AI and Sharpen AI as part of the developing (using LR plug ins for these applications). I also sometimes use the enhance function. This means I have 4 images. The camera, lens and exposure info is not carried across from the original, so I set up to sync the metadata from the first image. However the camera and exposure info does not come across to the new versions. When I view the images on my iPad in LRM, following the sync back to the cloud, LRM shows ‘No EXIFs’.

I’m obviously doing something wrong, but can’t work out what that is!

Are you applying any metadata presets anywhere along the line? That's the usual cause of missing metadata.

Thanks Victoria. I did some testing with old images that I could be certain that had no presets applied. If i just applied Enhance, then the GPS info was transferred correctly, as was the camera info. However if I then applied a topaz DeNoise or Sharpen edit then the camera info was removed. Syncing the metadata between the images did leave the GPS info intact. So, it would appear that a preset (to ensure the copyright and creator info was correct) would remove the GPS data. The use of the Topaz plug-in substituted ’Software: Topaz Labs’ for the camera information, rather than just add that.

…oh and when the imaged is synced back to the cloud and then to LRM, I still get the ‘No EXIFs’ indication on the Mobile app.

Interesting. It might be worth contacting Topaz to find out why they're removing metadata then.
So, it would appear that a preset (to ensure the copyright and creator info was correct) would remove the GPS data.
Edit the preset and make sure only the fields you want to change are checked. If a field is blank but checked, then any existing data is cleared.

Thank you very much Victoria.
I’ll contact Topaz and make the preset adjustments as you suggest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back