• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Any plugin or approach to dump out collection/image data to excel or access?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hillbill

Dreaming of a better world.......
Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
Lightroom Version Number
LR Classic 10.4
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
As part of my quest to move from Classic to a mobile workflow I have now decided to draw a line under my large classic catalog and move to a fully mobile workflow.

Obviously, I would prefer to change my subscription to the LR plan but this means I will lose access to LR Classic. Not a big deal as the big catalog has just archive material which I rarely need to edit. However, I do still need access to the catalog data in order to find images quickly. All of the images are in an organised folder structure but this does not really allow easy retrieval of all images of, say, a particular event which the cataloging does.

So, my ask is, is there a method to retrieve the catalog organisation of my images, which I could use to navigate my folder structure in a non LR program. The catalog structure would ideally be loaded into something like Excel or Access. I've looked at ListView, LR transporter and Data Explorer but none looks at categories as far as I can see.

The big catalog has over 330K images in it so everything is a little painful, and if I need to split this into smaller catalogs, no problem!

As ever, all help greatfully received!

Hi Roelof, didn't know this was the case tbh so had not even considered it! This would be exactly what I want though. How does it work? I change the plan and then presumably no further updates to classic but can still run it to look into the catalog? I presumed startup would be blocked without a valid photography subscription.....

Perfect, thanks both, puts my mind at rest and I now have a pretty good way forward.

Much appreciated!

The big catalog has over 330K images in it so everything is a little painful, and if I need to split this into smaller catalogs, no problem!

As ever, all help greatfully received!

You can migrate you Lightroom Classic Catalog to Lightroom. All of your keywords will be preserved, all of your develop settings, and All of your static collections (is this what you are calling categories?). Lightroom Classic collections become Lightroom Albums.

As Roelof has said, Lightroom Classic is still available , however with some functionality reduced.

You can for $19.99USD get a photography plan with 1TB storage, Lightroom, Lightroom Classic and Photoshop. This would allow you to keep a current Lightroom CLassic License.

Moving your Lightroom Classic to Lightroom only permits one catalog to be sync’d AND Lightroom doesn’t manage multiple catalogs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, had considered this but too expensive, the images are approaching 6Tb so lots of dosh to Adobe and the number of images is only going to go in one direction :) Using Classic without the subscription is going to be fine for me and is actually the best outcome I could have hoped for really! :)

Yes, had considered this but too expensive, the images are approaching 6Tb so lots of dosh to Adobe and the number of images is only going to go in one direction :) Using Classic without the subscription is going to be fine for me and is actually the best outcome I could have hoped for really! :)

If you sync (not migrate) from Lightroom Classic, None of you plan storage is used for the synced images. Images sync’d from Classic are sent to the cloud as smaller proxy images and don’t utilize your plan storage. That way you won’t use up any of you plan storage and still have an editable proxy image in the cloud,

Cheers, that's interesting, do the smart previews not count towards the plan storage at all? And I guess I would need to retain the photography plan for syncing.....quite attractive retaining everthing in the cloud.

Cheers, that's interesting, do the smart previews not count towards the plan storage at all?

Not at all. The longest edge of the DNG file is 2560px suitable for displaying and editing on mobile devices or about half the screen size in a 24” iMac.

I'll give that a go I think and see how well it works, the large catalog is on a server I don't really use for editing at all (I have previously used a current catalog on my laptop for editing that eventually gets merged into this big catalog). If I import on my Ipad, full sized originals make it to the cloud and these get downloaded into a location on the server, so a bit of additional admin to keep that tidy but having everything available is very attractive....many thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back