• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Every year I make a bet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zenon

Did you turn it off and on again?
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. macOS 11 Big Sur
Is the soon upcoming LrC going to be version 11 or 22? I see competitors started to do this a few years ago so it aligns with the year. It wouldn't have any effect on the software itself. I do lose this bet every year. .

Unknown. However a while ago Adobe did embed the year in product names like "Lightroom CC 2015" but it only lasted around a year and they abandoned the idea. Probably because the big new release dates always seemed to be out of sync with the date in the name of the release which casued customer confustion and calls. "It's now February 2016, why are we still on LR CC 2015? and when is the 2016 release coming out?" type of questions that consumed tech support time.

I suspect they won't go back to that model.

Unknown. However a while ago Adobe did embed the year in product names like "Lightroom CC 2015" but it only lasted around a year and they abandoned the idea. Probably because the big new release dates always seemed to be out of sync with the date in the name of the release which casued customer confustion and calls. "It's now February 2016, why are we still on LR CC 2015? and when is the 2016 release coming out?" type of questions that consumed tech support time.

I suspect they won't go back to that model.
LR CC 2015 was perpetually licensed, and for whatever reasons Adobe found it hard to get a significantly new "major" version released once a year. But when they moved to subscription licensing with LR 7, they did a pretty good job of releasing every 8 weeks, and they've been automatically bumping the major version every fall (five years in a row, now).

LR CC 2015 was perpetually licensed, and for whatever reasons Adobe found it hard to get a significantly new "major" version released once a year. But when they moved to subscription licensing with LR 7, they did a pretty good job of releasing every 8 weeks, and they've been automatically bumping the major version every fall (five years in a row, now).
Quote “LR CC 2015 was perpetually licensed, and for whatever reasons Adobe found it hard to get a significantly new "major" version released once a year. But when they moved to subscription licensing with LR 7”
This was unique, it was released as a subscription and perpetual version license key as Lightroom 6, it was the the same installation package but it depended on how you registered the application.
The license key version did not include the sync options via Adobe Creative Cloud, and did not require monthly subscription payments.

Right. My point was that when LR was perpetually licensed through LR 6 (CC 2015), major versions came out sporadically, but when it switched to subscription licensing only, Adobe has changed the major version number like clockwork every fall (Adobe Max). So the marketing issue of varying intervals between major releases no longer applies, since Adobe has managed to release 5 major versions yearly.

Most Software developers have reverted to version not date numbered releases. From a marketing perspective, A product with last years date is perceived as old and out of date compared to the competitions newer release.

Most Software developers have reverted to version not date numbered releases. From a marketing perspective, A product with last years date is perceived as old and out of date compared to the competitions newer release.
Thats my thought and if I was running Adobe I'd do that. As we can see perception, etc can go a long way as proven by how easy it is to sway people via social media.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back