• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Import New CF Card and Reader - Import Dialog Doesnt show Folders

Status
Not open for further replies.

flashpixx

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. Windows 8
  2. Windows 10
Import used to show destination folders on bottom right. Previously used XQD Card and reader, now using for the first time CF Express card and reader.

How can this be resolved please?

Import Dialog Box:
Capture 1.JPG

Import Preferences"

Capture 2.JPG

Last edited:
The problem is that the CF Express card reader is presented to the operating system (and thus to Lightroom) as a removable hard drive, and LrC always defaults to "Add" when initiating the Import dialog from a hard drive. It's an irritating, and potentially dangerous, issue which could easily lead to data loss if the unwary user simply proceeds with the import and then subsequently reformats the CF Express card ready for the next shoot.

This issue has been reported to Adobe many times, but so far it hasn't been fixed.

The problem is that the CF Express card reader is presented to the operating system (and thus to Lightroom) as a removable hard drive, and LrC always defaults to "Add" when initiating the Import dialog from a hard drive. It's an irritating, and potentially dangerous, issue which could easily lead to data loss if the unwary user simply proceeds with the import and then subsequently reformats the CF Express card ready for the next shoot.

This issue has been reported to Adobe many times, but so far it hasn't been fixed.
Thanks Jim.
Fortunately the images weren’t of any value as I was testing the new card and reader.
Must admit I was confused as to why the import dialog didn’t show the destination folders.
A google search found the answer on here.
Yes I can see the danger should one proceed with a days worth of sentimental or clients images!!

It also doesn't auto dismount the CFexpress cards if you have that set. Nor does it autostart an import when you insert the card if Lightroom is running. As far as the Add/Copy, I use import presets so I hadn't run into that yet. But, dang those CFexpress cards import fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back