• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Stupid People Mode Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Status
Not open for further replies.

matonananjin

Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I was just importing and it was about finished and some pop up said something about "recognizing people" or something similar. Now in the Library Module I can't get rid of this $%^& Stupid Face Recognition!!!!

I went to the Catalog settings and turned it off, I thought. but it is still running. I need to find some photos for my granddaughter tonight of her at a Cross Country and I can't show them to her. Grrrrrr And she is here with her dad to see them and can't come back for a week.

And so far, among the actual photos of people, LRC has detected 4 tree photos and 5 photos of my dogs. It's been running for at least a half an hour and the scroll bar has hardly begun!

Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Lightroom_Y8jbp6eyi3.jpg

Shortcut keyboard [O] Ohhhhhhh!
Or click the [Face] 'toggle' icon on the Toolbar-
1634185403423.png

I would suggest you only work 'Faces/People' when viewing a selected FOLDER of images, then you will not have to wait for all photographs to be scanned!

Shortcut keyboard [O] Ohhhhhhh!
Or click the [Face] 'toggle' icon on the Toolbar-

I would suggest you only work 'Faces/People' when viewing a selected FOLDER of images, then you will not have to wait for all photographs to be scanned!
What? Are you serious?
I didn't want to work 'Faces/People' on any images!!!
but now I know how to turn it off. Thanks.

If I had to identify a single feature that needs significant work to be truly useful, it would be Facial Recognition.

I would gladly pay for a third-party facial recognition system that integreated properly with Lightroom, since I don't have any confidence that Adobe will address the Facial Recognition issues any time soon.

If I had to identify a single feature that needs significant work to be truly useful, it would be Facial Recognition.

I would gladly pay for a third-party facial recognition system that integreated properly with Lightroom, since I don't have any confidence that Adobe will address the Facial Recognition issues any time soon.

+1E6

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ What he said ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Agreed! Most annoying feature on Lr. I often press "O" accidentally when toggling between "U" and "P", which throws me into "People". Since I never use "People" mode, I forget how to get out of it, Esc doesn't work.

Agreed! Most annoying feature on Lr. I often press "O" accidentally when toggling between "U" and "P", which throws me into "People". Since I never use "People" mode, I forget how to get out of it, Esc doesn't work.
Press ‘G’ to return to Grid view. Or click on the small grid icon in the left corner of the Toolbar.

Phil,

Just out of interest what is it about Facial Recognition that doesn’t work for you ?

I use it extensively and find out fast and accurate on all sorts of pictures of people.

I’m curious about whether I’m having a particularly successful experience or whether there’s a whole raft of capability that LR doesn’t offer that I’ve never even considered.

Cheers

Pete

Phil,

Just out of interest what is it about Facial Recognition that doesn’t work for you ?

Seriously? did you look at my OP? 27 images grabbed when I finally figured out how to get out of it. And, of those 27, 8 are of dogs and 4 are of trees! The dogs were named Halle and Mato, btw.

Phil,

I use it extensively and find out fast and accurate on all sorts of pictures of people.

I’m curious about whether I’m having a particularly successful experience or whether there’s a whole raft of capability that LR doesn’t offer that I’ve never even considered.

Cheers

Pete
1. People consistently mis-identified, even people of widely differing ages (.e.g. babies and older people)
2. People mis-indentified as male when female or female when male
3. People not identified correctly, when there are already hundreds of images of them already identified properly.
4. Faces not recognized in images, so I am forced to review all images.

Aside from these points, it's a great feature.

Phil

1. People consistently mis-identified, even people of widely differing ages (.e.g. babies and older people)
3. People not identified correctly, when there are already hundreds of images of them already identified properly.

Phil
From my own experience when it was first introduced I'd agree with all these failings, but in reality it was quite a low percentage overall. I'd put the feature in the middling "not too bad" category. Certainly not great, but equally certainly not unusable. I guess it comes down to how much you want it.

My "advantage" is that I had my whole catalog already keyworded, and obviously that included my people....and by that I mean the people that I wanted/needed to have tagged, and certainly not all the strangers that routinely crop up when doing outdoor photography of some kind. So if needed I could work with images of just one person at a time to get each face region correctly tagged (throwing out the false positives and correcting the false negatives). Took a little while, but got there eventually, so now new faces are easily dealt with. But I agree, for those wanting much more (e.g. the sports shooters), this isn't it.

The Lightroom version, whilst having fewer features, is I think a better recognition engine. I was often staggered at how well it correctly identified faces from a person which spread over many decades. But with no ability to correct false negatives it's difficult to recommend it.

Phil
Thats quite interesting and completely different from my own experience.

For context my catalog is about 100,000 images with about 40-50 ‘People’ known to Facial Recognition.

I reckon it’s about 95% accurate at recognising people correctly. It correctly identifies people face on,, side on, wearing hats, wearing sunglasses and out of focus in the background. I’ve got 2 four year old granddaughters both with long light curly hair. If I feed in maybe 100-150 mixed pictures of them together when they visit, LR will identify something in excess of 9/10 correctly. It rarely identifies something not a face as a person.

My biggest surprise was importing several dozen scanned prints of some of my children (now > 30) from some 10+ years ago and LR got about 3/4 of them correct.

For me it’s a reliable and useful feature of LR that I feel I can rely on.

Can’t begin to guess why your experience is so much poorer. But thats software for you !!

Pete

@pgbirrell

I'm not sure why our experiences with Facial Recognition have been so different from yours. I can only say that for me Lightroom usually works as expected. Keywords are always applied to selected images, images are always cropped or Guided Upright as expected, export works as expected, etc, and without frustration or disappointment. Facial Recognition is the one exception I can think of to this blanket statement.

To be clear, I don't use many features within Lightroom, so I'm not saying that Lightroom overall is trouble free.

I attended the Adobe MAX session Learn with the Lightroom Team - MTT4 and posted a question about improvements to the Facial Recognition feature. No answer, but I did get an answer to another question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back