• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Library module Smart collection showing a specific couple with not other people in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bill.fischer5

Premium Classic Member
Premium Cloud Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.14 Mojave
I am attempting to make a smart collection to show all the pictures that just have my wive and I in them. I put a "-" between first and last name in our KW's so other people in our family do not come up. But I still get pictures with other people.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-06-13 at 5.19.15 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-06-13 at 5.19.15 PM.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 124
In general, there's no straightforward way in LR to search for photos with exactly two keywords and no others. LR's support for exact keyword match is pretty poor.

One way to do it:

1. In the Library Filter bar's Metadadata browser, add two Keyword columns.

2. In the first column, select the first person keyword.

3. In the second column, select the second person keyword. Now, the only photos showing are those with both keywords (using exact match), but those photos may contain other keywords.

4. Select all the photos and put them in the Quick Collection.

5. Select the Quick Collection.

6. Remove the second column from the Metadata browser.

7. In the first column select all the keywords by clicking the first keyword and shift-clicking the last keyword.

8. Deselect the two person keywords in the Keyword column by Cmd/Ctrl-clicking them. Now only those photos in the Quick Collection that contain keywords other than the two person keywords are displayed.

9. Select all the displayed photos and remove them from the Quick Collection. The Quick Collection now contains photos with exactly the two person keywords and no other keywords.

----

If you do these kinds of queries frequently, consider the Any Filter plugin to do this, e.g.

1623621094679.png

For example, if your person keywords are under a top-level keyword People, and you want to find those photos with exactly two People keywords but perhaps other non-People keywords (e.g. Place keywords), it would take more steps doing it manually with LR built-in features. But you could do with it a saved Any Filter.

Here's another option.

Let's say Person-A and Person-B Kwywords are under a parent called "People" along with loads of other people.

1) create a temp KW (not under "people" called "Temp-folks" (don't use word "People" on thks KW
2) drag Person-A and Person-B bkeywords from "People" to "Temp-Folks"
3) in Text filter use Contains all, "Temp-Folks !People" (note "!" in front of "People" which means NOT)
4) when done, put two people back under "People"

Can also do step 3 with a Smart Collection (Keword contains Temp-Folks, and Keyord Doesn't Contain People)

I haven't tested this but it shoul,d work.

Dan

That's a good solution provided there's a top-level keyword People containing all the person keywords and that it's ok for the result photos to have other keywords (e.g. place names).

Here's another option.

Let's say Person-A and Person-B Kwywords are under a parent called "People" along with loads of other people.

1) create a temp KW (not under "people" called "Temp-folks" (don't use word "People" on thks KW
2) drag Person-A and Person-B bkeywords from "People" to "Temp-Folks"
3) in Text filter use Contains all, "Temp-Folks !People" (note "!" in front of "People" which means NOT)
4) when done, put two people back under "People"

Can also do step 3 with a Smart Collection (Keword contains Temp-Folks, and Keyord Doesn't Contain People)

I haven't tested this but it shoul,d work.

Dan
Hi Dan: I tried this. It did not really do the job. When I started to type in the "Temp Folks" pictures of the two of us cam up along with some that had other people. When I continued to type " !People". photo with just one of us in it came up. I was trying to just get pictures of us as a couple
I did not fine "People" in other keywords. my KW tree can go a little deep thoughThank you for the suggestion.
In general, there's no straightforward way in LR to search for photos with exactly two keywords and no others. LR's support for exact keyword match is pretty poor.

One way to do it:

1. In the Library Filter bar's Metadadata browser, add two Keyword columns.

2. In the first column, select the first person keyword.

3. In the second column, select the second person keyword. Now, the only photos showing are those with both keywords (using exact match), but those photos may contain other keywords.

4. Select all the photos and put them in the Quick Collection.

5. Select the Quick Collection.

6. Remove the second column from the Metadata browser.

7. In the first column select all the keywords by clicking the first keyword and shift-clicking the last keyword.

8. Deselect the two person keywords in the Keyword column by Cmd/Ctrl-clicking them. Now only those photos in the Quick Collection that contain keywords other than the two person keywords are displayed.

9. Select all the displayed photos and remove them from the Quick Collection. The Quick Collection now contains photos with exactly the two person keywords and no other keywords.

----

If you do these kinds of queries frequently, consider the Any Filter plugin to do this, e.g.

View attachment 16732

For example, if your person keywords are under a top-level keyword People, and you want to find those photos with exactly two People keywords but perhaps other non-People keywords (e.g. Place keywords), it would take more steps doing it manually with LR built-in features. But you could do with it a saved Any Filter.
thank you John, I will try these suggestions in a day or two. I have been at this all day and am burnt out. One question I have about the plug in is will it slow don my LRC ifI install it?

Nope, the plugin doesn't affect LR performance at all. It's got a 30-day free trial and you an always uninstall it.

I've done this on a very quick ad-hoc basis:

Keywords: "contains all" person1 person2
Keywords: "doesn't contain" person3 person4 person5 ...

This obviously is not a robust solution, but for a quick ad-hoc search it works well enough for me. Using four names in the "not wanted" list gave me exactly what I wanted. It will vary depending on how many photos you and your wife appear in, and how many other people you regularly get photographed with!

If you have keywords Person1 and Person2 on an image that contains other people that have not been identified , multi people images will still get included. The only way I can thing to solve this is to find all of the photos of JUST "Carol Siegal" and "Bill Fischer". and assign another keyword (e.g "justus")

When I continued to type " !People". photo with just one of us in it came up.
Oh, right. Dan's suggestion will find photos that contain either Temp-Folks > Person A or Temp-Folks > Person B but not necessarily both. Any photo containing just Person A or just Person B also implicitly contains Temp-Folks. So Dan and I were wrong about this suggestion.

LR's keyword matching really is inadequate for these sorts of searches, and coming up with clever workarounds is fun but error-prone.

Oh, right. Dan's suggestion will find photos that contain either Temp-Folks > Person A or Temp-Folks > Person B but not necessarily both. Any photo containing just Person A or just Person B also implicitly contains Temp-Folks. So Dan and I were wrong about this suggestion.

LR's keyword matching really is inadequate for these sorts of searches, and coming up with clever workarounds is fun but error-prone.
John That is an elegant solution. One unavoidable problem with my pictures is that many of the people in my pictures are not named or key-worded. So I will still get some that have other people in them. So I will make a collection from the smart collection that has those photos culled out. Thank you. know I can choose the best pictures of us or of other couples to give as presents. I can even do a collection of us with our dog.

In my steps, change step 3 to "keywords" "contains all" "person-A person-B !People"? I would think that would give you photos that have both person-A and Person-B but not anyone in the People hierarchy (and independent of any other keywords). Space delimited names may cause unexpected results though.

If you have keywords Person1 and Person2 on an image that contains other people that have not been identified , multi people images will still get included. The only way I can thing to solve this is to find all of the photos of JUST "Carol Siegal" and "Bill Fischer". and assign another keyword (e.g "justus")

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back