• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Collection Alias Broken after Moving Files to New Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

protagonisto

Premium Cloud Member
Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.15 Catalina
I recently have had two separate drive failures. Fortunately, my redundancy planning includes two other external drives I'm cloning my photos to and have been able to copy the files onto to a new drive and then import the drive, using the exact same file structure back into LRC. the import worked as expected. However, based on the research I've conducted, it appears moving the files to a new drive breaks the connection alias since an entry in the Collection points back to a particular location. I've not been able to find solution to editing those pointers to associate the Collection entries to their new location. Does anyone have a clue as to a solution. I'm willing to start over with the import if there's a better way to accomplish the import and somehow not break the file connection in the Collection. For what's it worth, when I try to point a collection entry to the new location, I get an error which sort of makes sense, but seems odd that I couldn't just tell LRC where the file is now. The error is "Each file can only be associated with one photo". I would be grateful for any insights as my only option appears to be recreating the Collection again by locating all 400 photos one-by-one.

The path in the Lightroom Catalog refers to a path that includes the volume name. What has probably happened is that the Lightroom Catalog is looking for the old volume name

If the old volume was named "MyVolume" it would have been located from the root folder "/" at "/Volumes/MyVolume", The new volume probably has a different name from the old volume. renaming the new volume to the old volume name and rebooting should resolve this issue.

The path in the Lightroom Catalog refers to a path that includes the volume name. What has probably happened is that the Lightroom Catalog is looking for the old volume name

If the old volume was named "MyVolume" it would have been located from the root folder "/" at "/Volumes/MyVolume", The new volume probably has a different name from the old volume. renaming the new volume to the old volume name and rebooting should resolve this issue.
Thanks Cletus! I'll give that a whirl. I had tried to add some color and star attributes to make it easy to locate and pull them into the Collection again, but the attributes didn't follow the file move to the new volume, which weirded me out a bit because I thought the sidecars carried the attributes. I then wondered after the fact if I had synced a single keyword across the collection, if that would provide the solution if I needed redo the import.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back