• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Workflow suggestion super resolution, Topaz denoise, sharpening

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom75

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version Number
CC Classic
Operating System
  1. macOS 11 Big Sur
Hi All,

I have a landscape image which was taken at dusk so its a little dark but the quality is good and the ISO not too high with ISO 600. A friend of mine would like to have this image as a large print like 100 - 120cm wide. The quality is good but it needs some noise reduction and sharpening and of course I need to get it to the desired size.

Since LR has now super resolution implemented its not needed to do any tricks to get it to PS for using super resolution but I wanted to ask for you opinions regarding the workflow in order to get the best result.

I had the following in mind:
  1. apply super resolution on the unprocessed image
  2. noise reduction with Topaz denoise
  3. Sharpening with Topaz sharpen AI
  4. making adjustments in LR
  5. Take the image to PS to get it into the correct format / dimension and make some other adjustments

Do you think this workflow should give the best result or should I change the order of the above?

Thanks and regards,
Tom

An excellent question @Tom75. Let us know how it turns out ;-)

Seriously, you have the different steps. Some of my thoughts since I can see myself doing the same:
  • One consideration is that the LrC works on the RAW file which really means you likely want to do this first. From one article I read "Your computer will put on its thinking cap, crunch a lot of numbers, then produce a new raw file in the Digital Negative (DNG) format that contains the enhanced photo" I mention this because other 3rd party tools will work on the current image with LrC adjustments. That raises the question of increasing resolution at the start or end of your workflow. Do you want to use LrC's SR or a 3rd party? (Sorry Adobe)
  • I'd be trying different combinations to see what gives you the best results. In other words, experiment.
  • Keep in mind that both Topaz Denoise and Sharpening also include denoise and sharpening in both. Just not to the same extent so that you have to buy both. The point is that the denoise or sharpening offered by one may be good enough to eliminate the need for the other.
  • You didn't mention anything about cropping unless that's what you meant by going to PS. With LrC SR, you can't crop until after SR.
  • With respect to PS, that adds a different dimension to the mix since now you are converting to TIFF or PSD for the exchange. I find I can make the format/dimension changes I need in LrC so not sure why you go to PS unless you are after specific canvas and image sizing's.

I would do all the processing in Lightroom, then using Topaz Studio as an external editor do all of the Topaz post processing that you think you need. Once this derivative image is back in Lightroom, you can crop if necessary and print from Lightroom is you have a photo printer capable of printing to the 100-120 cm length. If you don't have a printer capable of producing the large format print, export a printable copy using the third party's file specifications.

I can't see where you would need Photoshop unless you are needing layers.

Thanks for the comments.

I see your point regarding the RAW file, thats why I think it would be best to do super resolution in Lightroom classic first, then crop.

After that I thought to take if over to Topaz for sharpening or noise reduction because the Topaz guys say that it is best to do this early in the process however this means I will get a TIFF file after running Topaz denoise and sharpening so I would need to do all the LR Classic adjustments on the tiff file. Maybe it would anyway be better to do first all adjustments in Classic?

I need to test this I guess.

Regards,
Tom

I would do all the processing in Lightroom, then using Topaz Studio as an external editor do all of the Topaz post processing that you think you need. Once this derivative image is back in Lightroom, you can crop if necessary and print from Lightroom is you have a photo printer capable of printing to the 100-120 cm length. If you don't have a printer capable of producing the large format print, export a printable copy using the third party's file specifications.

I can't see where you would need Photoshop unless you are needing layers.

Thanks clee, saw your post after I had written the above.

The I agree to do all the adjustments in LR first before taking it into Topaz etc since this will result in a Tiff.

I need PS to convert the file to exactly the correct dimension since this will go to a print company to print it on an Aluminum plate. I also need to add a small black border in PS.

But do you agree that I should do as a first step super resolution in LR before any other editing?

Regards,
Tom

I need PS to convert the file to exactly the correct dimension since this will go to a print company to print it on an Aluminum plate. I also need to add a small black border in PS.
Except for the black border, you can do this in the Export module. Using the LR plugin LR/Mogrifym you can add the black border. Since you are printing on Aluminum, why do you even need a black border?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back