Upgrading hardware: Two BENQ SW monitors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob_B

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
I'm in the process of upgrading my photography workstation with a new computer plus all new hardware and software. My current setup used two monitors (1920x1080) running off of the MB's built-in graphics. I really like working with two monitors when editing in LR and PS. I am strongly leaning towards using at least one BenQ SW series monitor on my new computer. I have budgeted for two of them, but wonder if this might be overkill and a waste of $$$ that could be used elsewhere.

Do you use two BenQ monitors for photo editing? Just one plus another lower-resolution monitor? I would appreciate hearing your opinions. (No rush, I'm several weeks away from making purchases; just getting a shopping list right now.)

Thank you,

Bob

I think you should use two identical monitors that have been calibrated with calibration software/hardware. This is something that I have not been able to do since on of my monitors is an iMac and buying an Apple Display is cost prohibitive.

Even though I calibrate both monitors, the final calibration though close never matches.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I tried using 2 monitors of different sizes for Lr and Ps when I upgraded to a 27 inch monitor (and tried to use my previous monitor) .... and gave it up as a disaster. Dragging images from one screen to another results in differences that my eyes/brain could not cope with. I am now about to build a new high spec Windows Pc and know I need to consider upgrading my monitor again. I agree with Cletus, if you need the real estate use two identical monitors if you can. My options are probably 2 x24 or 1 x 32. I suspect I will go 1x32. The bigger issue for me is deciding what graphics card to use, considering that Lr and Ps still are under using graphics cards capacity.

My preference is to have two monitors, and if I could find the room on my desk, I would love three. The two monitors I have are not identical, but both are calibrated with Spectraview as they are NEC MultiSync monitors. Yes, it is ideal to have tow identical monitors, but I am used to the fact that they are different, and just account for that in my work flow. Having said that, I have never tried to use one large monitor, so I cannot comment on it.

Good luck,

--Ken

My current setup uses two different sizes of monitors (and with different backlighting). While I calibrate each monthly, the difference in resolution is a PITA at times. I will have to work on how to get two 24" monitors on my desk, but I think I can do so with a bit of imagination (and some duct tape :).

My current setup uses two different sizes of monitors (and with different backlighting). While I calibrate each monthly, the difference in resolution is a PITA at times. I will have to work on how to get two 24" monitors on my desk, but I think I can do so with a bit of imagination (and some duct tape :).
FWIW, at work and at home I have my main monitor sitting centered and directly in front of me. My secondary monitor is off to one side, pushed back a bit and on angle. But, I have them arranged so my eye moves smoothly from one monitor to the other. The downside to this is that the second monitor is a bit further away, and is not ideal for reading small text for any length of time. But, it does allow for better use of space.

Good luck,

--Ken

I have two monitors. I turned the smaller (24" ) vertical, and the bigger (27") horizontal. The large is my main, but I keep vertically oriented stuff on the other, like email, and in LR when I use two monitors, it actually gives a larger loupe display for vertical files because it matches the aspect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back