• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Do I really need Denoise AI to denoise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

adonetok

Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. Windows 7
Do I really need Denoise AI to denoise? It is running very slowly.
Is de-noise feature in Lr good enough?

That will all depend on your needs, expectations and skill level with either program. It is easy to try out the NR features on two identical images and see what your experience tells you. Many use LR's NR features, and others prefer third party NR. There is no one right answer; it's what works best for you and your needs.

--Ken

It is running very slowly
The Topaz apps can use a lot of CPU and/or GPU resources. You may want to open 'Task Manager' to see what the different resource consumptions are when using them. Also check the system requirements for Denoise DeNoise AI System Requirements

I use both Denoise and Sharpen and like them. However, now that Topaz has said it will start charging for upgrades, I'm thinking about going back and learning LR's capabilities better.

I spent a lot of time learning the in and outs of sharpening and NR in Lightroom and got pretty happy with it. However, there are still some files I run through the Topaz products. Mostly the DenoiseAI. I have some ISO dependent import presets in Lightroom and if they don't get me close, I have another preset that reverts noise and sharpening back to defaults and then I go into DenoiseAI, if anybody is wondering about my flow.

Do you "need" it - probably not. It will depend on the photo, and on what you want to do it it; eg print, web contests, Facebook, etc. I tend to use DeNoise AI on my "best photos" that I submit to online contests or I print. Otherwise LR can do a really nice job; though I have found this somewhat camera/sensor dependent as well. And of course what Topaz is doing is very intense on the calculation side, so it will run slower that LR does. I generally look at it as applying the final polish to a nice photo.

I am impressed with both Denoise AI and Sharpen AI. They can often make a usable image out of a throwaway. Lightroom noise reduction is good for slight adjustments, but it can't do as good a job on troublesome images. They're both worth adding to your post-processing toolbox.

I am impressed with both Denoise AI and Sharpen AI. They can often make a usable image out of a throwaway. Lightroom noise reduction is good for slight adjustments, but it can't do as good a job on troublesome images. They're both worth adding to your post-processing toolbox.
If you use either of these products as a Lightroom plug-in, do you preserve a 100% non-destructive workflow.

If you also want to apply a lens profile to correct issues such as chromatic aberration, in what order do you apply the lens profile and these products?

I find Stabilize in Sharpen AI the most useful feature out both plug-ins. Most of the time LR is good enough. I don't like using 3rd party unless I really need to. Enhance Details does give the file a little extra sharpness but it creates a DNG file.

If you have LR you probably have PS as well. There is a pretty good technique where you can reduce noise for background only and send that file to PS. Then you work on the subject ignoring the background and send that file to PS as well. In PS you layer the two files and mask out the subject.

Denoise AI is really for more extreme noise issues. Typically that's images shot at ISO 6400 on APS-C or ISO 12,800 and higher on full frame. Lightroom Classic is remarkably good and has lots of tools to address noise. Noise can be worse in shadows and dark areas. The other thing to keep in mind is that sharpening and noise are essentially opposites, so if you are applying either on a global basis, it can make the other worse.

There are several major strategies for addressing noise.
Don't sharpen the noise. Use Masking to only apply global sharpening to edges where you need it.
Be careful with the use of contrast, texture and clarity on a global basis because they can make noise issues worse - apply them locally
Use local adjustments to apply sharpening, texture and clarity to areas that need it
Separately use local adjustments to apply NR to those areas of the image
Use a neutral camera profile if necessary to avoid sharpening or clarity that are in other profiles

If you are converting to a TIFF or JPEG for use in another program, don't use sharpening, clarity, texture or noise reduction in your base edits. This applies to Sharpen AI as well as Noise Reduction AI.

Raising an exposure or brightening shadows are much like increasing ISO, so they can easily increase noise if you are already starting at ISO 800 and higher.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back