• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Are you using the cloud-based Lightroom apps for iOS, Android, Windows, Mac, and Web? Then you'll love my book, Adobe Lightroom - Edit on the Go!

You'll learn how to use the Lightroom cloud ecosystem to organize, edit and share your photos. You'll also come to understand the thought processes used by professional photographers when they're editing their own photos, so you can transform your photos quickly and easily. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Store originals locally on Cloudy windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephanie Booth

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom 3.4
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I'm installing Cloudy on a friend's new windows computer. No Classic alongside. I've checked the "Store A Copy Of All Originals At The Specified Location" box so that my friend feels safe having a "local copy" of all photos on her machine.

I am not sure, however, what happens when she culls photos from Lightroom (she has a lot she needs to delete, one of the reasons for getting her on LR). Will the "original" of a deleted photo also be deleted, or will it continue clogging up her hard drive?

I'm installing Cloudy on a friend's new windows computer. No Classic alongside. I've checked the "Store A Copy Of All Originals At The Specified Location" box so that my friend feels safe having a "local copy" of all photos on her machine.

I am not sure, however, what happens when she culls photos from Lightroom (she has a lot she needs to delete, one of the reasons for getting her on LR). Will the "original" of a deleted photo also be deleted, or will it continue clogging up her hard drive?

I’m pretty sure the Photos stored in the local location are not managed by Lr.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I’m pretty sure the Photos stored in the local location are not managed by Lr.
It's the opposite, actually. Stores local copies are also deleted when deleting the original in the cloud.....but not always immediately, they are in fact only deleted when the original is removed from the Deleted album (either after the 60 days "cooling down" period, or immediately upon a manual deletion from Deleted).

It's the opposite, actually. Stores local copies are also deleted when deleting the original in the cloud.....but not always immediately, they are in fact only deleted when the original is removed from the Deleted album (either after the 60 days "cooling down" period, or immediately upon a manual deletion from Deleted).
What happens to my locally stored originals on my computer if I delete images from the cloud via Lightroom on my iPad Pro? For Lightroom reach back to the Local copied and delete those too?

What happens to my locally stored originals on my computer if I delete images from the cloud via Lightroom on my iPad Pro? For Lightroom reach back to the Local copied and delete those too?
Well it looks like these are managed by Lightroom. If imported to Lr via Lr Mobile (iPhone), the originals do get saved in the local location on the computer as well as in the cloud. If permanently deleted using Lightroom Mobile, the same original copies stored on the computer at the Local storage location do get deleted too.
Since I maintain originals sync'ed back to Lightroom Classic, I considered these LrC as critical master files to be backed up with my system backup (TimeMachine). I also see that Lightroom (cloudy) is maintaining its own copy of these same master images on a volume that I currently do not back up. I contend that it is never possible to have too many backups of my important image files. Now, I need to consider whether I want this Lightroom Cloudy Local Storage volume added to my system backup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back