• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Possible to set keywords while in develop module?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom75

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version Number
CC Classic
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.15 Catalina
Hi All,

I am after processing a large series of pictures and while doing that in develop module it would be great to be able to keyword the images at the same time while in develop without having to switch every time to library for setting the correct keyword. Is there a possibility to do that such as making for example keyboard shortcuts for different keywords?

Thanks and Regards,
Tom

No, because the idea is to do such description and categorisation in Library where you have a range of tools designed for the job - 2 panels, metadata templates, syncing from others.

thanks for the info then I guess I need to live with it and do it like normally.

Regards,
Tom

You've always got the keyboard shortcuts if you really need to do it, but part of the underlying design of LR was to work in a methodical way, doing culling and metadata application to a set of images, then progressing to adjustment. So it's less a matter of learning to live with it, more a matter of driving it as it's intended.

You've always got the keyboard shortcuts if you really need to do it, but part of the underlying design of LR was to work in a methodical way, doing culling and metadata application to a set of images, then progressing to adjustment. So it's less a matter of learning to live with it, more a matter of driving it as it's intended.
John,

True enough, but when I use the smart-collection based workflow keywords, I work on just one or a small group of images at a time in DEVELOP. As I do complete the DEVELOP work for just those images, I want to "check off" those images. That allows me to pick up where I left off. It's a great workflow management tool.

So maybe with the smart collection approach, the overall paradigm needs to change a bit, in ways the designers did not anticipate.

Phil Burton

thanks again for the answers guys I will have a look at the any tag plugin

Regards,
Tom

True enough, but when I use the smart-collection based workflow keywords, I work on just one or a small group of images at a time in DEVELOP. As I do complete the DEVELOP work for just those images, I want to "check off" those images. That allows me to pick up where I left off. It's a great workflow management tool.

So maybe with the smart collection approach, the overall paradigm needs to change a bit, in ways the designers did not anticipate.
Phil
You have colour labels and pick flags, for example, and any design change might not be to break the standard workflow by making descriptive fields like keywords available in the adjustment workspace. For instance, it might be more colours for labels, more than one label per photo etc.
John

Just an additional information because you guys reacted on the workflow as it is supposed to be.

The reason why I asked about this was because I am doing my initial culling process already while on a trip on the Gnarbox I am using. Its also possible to do keywording in there at the same time which I also do sometimes but not in this case because it was a longer trip with several thousand images so I did the culling while on the road but didnt have time to do the keywording as well.

Regards,
Tom

Phil
You have colour labels and pick flags, for example, and any design change might not be to break the standard workflow by making descriptive fields like keywords available in the adjustment workspace. For instance, it might be more colours for labels, more than one label per photo etc.
John
John,

Is there any way to add more colors to Lightroom?

No, Phil, I'm responding to your "the overall paradigm needs to change a bit" by looking at your underlying requirement - to check off. More colours and the ability to apply more than one is how I feel it should be changed, not by confusing the structured workflow.

Another way Adobe can fix this would be to develop the existing snapshot feature. I can currently do Ctrl N and type Done - that's quick. But I can't find/filter all the Done snapshots, or all those without Done, because you can only filter for whether a photo has a snapshot. So Adobe would just need to make snapshot names searchable, and maybe add a way to auto-complete previous entries in the new snapshot dialog box.

If you add a keywording interface into Develop, why not the other important metadata like captions or titles? And why shouldn't I be able to set print parameters in Develop, too? That's why this idea misses the target. If you need to find a way to say "Done", instead of polluting the keywords metadata, Adobe should make the snapshot feature punch its weight, for example, or build on the simple and highly-flexible colour labels, for example.

If you add a keywording interface into Develop, why not the other important metadata like captions or titles? And why shouldn't I be able to set print parameters in Develop, too? That's why this idea misses the target. If you need to find a way to say "Done", instead of polluting the keywords metadata, Adobe should make the snapshot feature punch its weight, for example, or build on the simple and highly-flexible colour labels, for example.
John,
You make some good points here. But color is a very blunt tool, because there are only five colors and you can use only one at a time. Would Adobe be willing to show some "industry leadership" by allowing two colors?

The beauty of colour labels, Phil, is there is no industry standard beyond using an ancient field called Urgency to contain some text. But I doubt it!

The beauty of colour labels, Phil, is there is no industry standard beyond using an ancient field called Urgency to contain some text. But I doubt it!
John,

Agree that color labels are a "personal standard." However, I wish we had more colors to choose from. Back when I was trying to use Photo Supreme together with Lightroom, (an idea which did not work out) I liked the fact that Photo Supreme supported more than five colors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back