• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Naming cameras for LR import

Status
Not open for further replies.

goon525

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
CC latest
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.15 Catalina
I use an Olympus E-M1.2, and we’ve just picked up a second one for my wife to use. We share a LR catalogue (possibly a mistake, but one made a long time ago, and difficult to unravel). Is there any way I can rename her camera so that imports aren’t simply labelled with exactly the same name as mine?

If it's so you can sort, simply filter by camera serial number will do it?

Thanks, Paul, that may have to do. But I’d hoped to be able to edit the camera name so that it’s obvious on looking at an image (and pressing ‘I’ if necessary) which of us took it.

As it's in the embedded camera metadata, I'm not aware of a way, although one of our experts on metadata might know!

Always set hers to a specific color label perhaps so it's instantly visible?

Thanks, Paul, that may have to do. But I’d hoped to be able to edit the camera name so that it’s obvious on looking at an image (and pressing ‘I’ if necessary) which of us took it.
I have owned Pentax, Fuji and several Nikons. They all offer an option in the camera settings to control the first 4 characters of the. image file name. This is what I have always used to distinguish the different cameras and especially the different Nikon cameras. If the Olympus cameras don't give you that naming control you can set on up as sRGB and the other as AdobeRGB in the color space. sRGB uses "IMB_nnnn" as the default file name and AdobeRGB uses "_IMGnnnn".

If you are shooting RAW the color space assigned in the camera is not used in the RAW file only for JPEGs.

Another option (which I don't really support because it doesn't apply to the original file from the camera) would be to great a different file naming scheme to be used with a special import preset for each camera.

I shoot with two Canon Cameras so whenever I import I rename the files using a metadata preset that does a file rename. You could create two such presets. One would append your initials to the front of the cameras' file name and the other would append her initials. Then on import just pick one or the other of these two presets.

If you want to do the same for previously imported images you can filter by camera serial number, select all previously imported images for one of the cameras and then use F2 to bring up and select the same preset for that camera and then do the same for the other camera

Cletus' suggestion is what I echo -- rename it in the camera; this has the additional benefit that the cards' filenames are distinct so if you ever get them mixed up you can immediately tell which is which.

If you really want to rename the Camera so it shows up in Lightroom's EXIF data, you can use the "Capture Time to EXIF" plugin for this. It does more than just change capture time. I have been using it on some slide scans so that Lightroom shows "Nikon N90s" as my camera for these slides instead of "Nikon LS-5000" which is the scanner I'm using.

You can type anything into the Camera fields, so you could put your name there if you wanted to. This plugin is well worth the small price.

» Capture Time to Exif

Change Camera Make and Model.png

For under a tenner that looks very promising. I’ll trial it this weekend. Thanks, Photocitizen.

My Canon filenames I set different for my two bodies in the camera. IMD_xxxx and IM5_xxxx for my 7D and 5D respectively. I also use different import presets for each that put them in different folder trees. My old T1i was with the default prefix of IMG_xxxx. So I can tell which camera every file came from.

In the OP's case, I wouldn't recommend using the plugin for changing the camera name. As in the screenshot's example of a Nikon N90, the plugin is fine for adding camera details to film scans, but with raw files LR uses the camera model to apply default settings.

Cletus's advice is one thing I would suggest, although it assumes that you don't observe good practice and rename files. Most cameras also allow you to store a copyright EXIF value, which shows up in LR, and you also have the serial number - these are more dependable.

Cletus's advice is one thing I would suggest, although it assumes that you don't observe good practice and rename files. Most cameras also allow you to store a copyright EXIF value, which shows up in LR, and you also have the serial number - these are more dependable.
Actually this does not assume that you don’t rename originals. It would require a Lightroom Naming scheme that incorporates the knowledge of which camera is being accessed when renaming This is readily gleaned from the first 4 characters of the original file name set in the camera.

I have long contended that renaming originals is superfluous. You will notice that in the Cloud version of Lightroom, this is not even an option. On import

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back