• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Something has happened to the tethering on my MacBook Pro.

Status
Not open for further replies.

johncee

Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.15 Catalina
Hi,
For some reason the tethering stoped detecting my Canon 5Ds in lightroom on my MacBook. It works perfectly on my iMac same Lightroom ver, camera and usb cable. Never had a problem before. The only difference I can see is iMac is still on OS 10.12.6 and MacBook is on 10.15.2. I have thrown away lightroom preferences, uninstalled reinstalled lightroom and also tried lightroom 9.1. Any help would be appreciated. Cheers John.

The only difference I can see is iMac is still on OS 10.12.6 and MacBook is on 10.15.2.
That's exactly the cause. Apple broke tethering in the 10.15.2 update. We're waiting on them fixing.

It's an issue with Catalina 10.15.2 that affects Nikon and Canon. Apple are working on it we understand (nothing Adobe can do as it's an OS issue)

LOL! Nice to know we're on the same page!

I understand it affects Canon's own software too. Lightroom uses Canon's SDK. Some other companies who have built custom interfaces may be able to fix it quicker.

Not wonderfully easily
Actually, I had to revert to an older MACos version when performance died after an upgrade. From Googling it appears this was an 'undocumented feature' for older Macbooks. Using the TimeMachine, I was back to where I had been a couple of days before in no time. For me at least it was totally painless but then I hadn't made any changes other than OS.

There are several good alternatives than enable wireless tethering, and one which I have used for years which works great: CamRanger; it bypasses Canon and Apple and Adobe software to connect directly to your computer (where you can import to LR). There is a new version (smaller, more powerful), but you can also pick up the older version (which is what I use). It will work with other cameras, as well, and you can tether to an iPad, iPhone, or the computer. Simply set your camera to take both RAW and JPGs, and it will automatically choose the JPG - I think it will import RAW images now, but it will be pretty slow.

Actually, I had to revert to an older MACos version when performance died after an upgrade. From Googling it appears this was an 'undocumented feature' for older Macbooks. Using the TimeMachine, I was back to where I had been a couple of days before in no time. For me at least it was totally painless but then I hadn't made any changes other than OS.
Sadly I didn't have TimeMachine on my MacBook so not an option.

Just so I have got this right. The problem with the OS 10.15.2 is that the tethering dose not work with or without using a usb cable?

Sadly I didn't have TimeMachine on my MacBook so not an option.
TimeMachine comes free with MacOS. That you chose not to use it is what is really sad. It is the height of folly not to use a system backup app to protect your critical files. Although I can't imagine why one would prefer another backup app when TimeMachine is freely available, everyone should be using some backup app if not TimeMachine with the certainty that at some time certain, your primary disk will fail or more likely there will be a need to recover from the inevitable user mistake.

I dont need a slap on the wrist I'm already hurting. Yes I know the virtues of TimeMachine I use it on my iMac. Never bothered on laptop as I only use it for location shoots and everything other than copies of LR and PS are on a remote drive. But lesion learned.

I dont need a slap on the wrist I'm already hurting. Yes I know the virtues of TimeMachine I use it on my iMac. Never bothered on laptop as I only use it for location shoots and everything other than copies of LR and PS are on a remote drive. But lesion learned.
"Experience is a cruel teacher. It gives the exam first and the lesson later"... We have all been at that point. And I'm not the only one that has met that cruel teacher wrt to computer data.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back