• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Keywording Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stanley J

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic 9.0
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.15 Catalina
Using Lightroom Classic 9.0 on an iMac. I have been created a large number of keywords and over time some keywords are no longer relevant and have been deleted.

However when I type in the keywording tags box these deleted keywords continue to show up in the suggested keywords drop down (not talking about the keywords suggestions box or the keywords sets box).

Also any incorrectly spelled keywords that have been deleted show up there.

I use this drop down constantly and over time these deleted keywords are cluttering up the keyword suggestions in this drop down and making it less efficient to use.

Is there a way to remove these deleted keywords from the drop down?

For what it is worth, I have created a smart collection of photos WITHOUT keywords. If I use the keywords in the suggestions box or keywords sets box as soon as I click on a keyword there that photo is immediately removed from the smart collection. Often I enter multiple keywords and there in lies the problem. Hence I use the drop down suggestions to enter multiple keywords.

Any help appreciated and I thank you for your time.

Stan

That suggested key word is a “feature” it might even be something that the OS API provides to Lightroom and other apps. I’m not Sutherlin if it can be amended.

The Smart Collection is doing the job it was designed for. If you want to add multiple keywords, then copy the Smart Collection to a static collection and when you are sure that you are finished with an image, remove that image from the static collection

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you.....now that you've mentioned it, creating a static collection is obviously another way to tackle this problem. Think I was so immersed in the issue with the drop down I neglected thinking of an alternative method of dealing with the issue.

Thanks again

Add another rule to the smart collection smart collection "keyword contains "WF-KeepInKWCollection" (I start all such KW's with "WF" for "Work Flow). This rule should be in an "any" relationship with the set of rule(s) already in the smart collection. In other words, the image shows up in the smart collection if it either has no KW's or has this specific KW. Run the smart collection. Then add the special KW to all the images. Now once you're done keywording an image, just remove this special KW and it will drop that image out of the collection.

These deleted keywords that continue to appear in the suggested keyword list is a bug of LR9 acknowledged by Adobe.
The delete process forget to also delete the keyword in the helper.db located in the folder <Catalog name> helper.lrdata. Until a fix, a workaround is to delete the helper.db file.

These deleted keywords that continue to appear in the suggested keyword list is a bug of LR9 acknowledged by Adobe.
The delete process forget to also delete the keyword in the helper.db located in the folder helper.lrdata. Until a fix, a workaround is to delete the helper.db file.

With a little SQL knowledge and a SQLlite database manager app, it would be possible to selectively delete the unwanted keywords form the file.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

With a little SQL knowledge and a SQLlite database manager app, it would be possible to selectively delete the unwanted keywords form the file.
I agree. I did it on my system. It's not difficult, but it's less risky and simpler to delete the whole helper.db for those who are not familiar with SQLite.

I agree. I did it on my system. It's not difficult, but it's less risky and simpler to delete the whole helper.db for those who are not familiar with SQLite.
Which SQLite manager? Which SQL commands?

Which SQLite manager? Which SQL commands?
In the past I have used NaviCat to access the Lightroom Catalog. I've never accessed the Helper.db. There are lots of SQL Managers that work on SQLlite. Many are free.
Simple query of the tables should identify which tables need attention. After you have identified the tables and the records in the tables, using "DELETE FROM table name WHERE ..." will remove the keywords not in the catalog. If you do this with a copy of "helper.db" then no harm if you screw it up. Replace the existing "helper.db" with the one that you edit and open LR Classic to test. If it works you are done, if not, then delete the 'helper.db" and you are following Phillipe's recommendation

In the past I have used NaviCat to access the Lightroom Catalog. I've never accessed the Helper.db. There are lots of SQL Managers that work on SQLlite. Many are free.
Simple query of the tables should identify which tables need attention. After you have identified the tables and the records in the tables, using "DELETE FROM table name WHERE ..." will remove the keywords not in the catalog. If you do this with a copy of "helper.db" then no harm if you screw it up. Replace the existing "helper.db" with the one that you edit and open LR Classic to test. If it works you are done, if not, then delete the 'helper.db" and you are following Phillipe's recommendation
Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back