• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Multiple catalogs in Lightroom

Status
Not open for further replies.

annekarinwd

Biker with a camera
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom 6
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.15 Catalina
A question: I have a main Lightroom Catalog which includes 85000 images(!) This works OK, but I want to make separate catalogs (for example "Grand children" and "Nature"). When I import pictures from my big photo library into another catalog, will the photos be duplicated in this process? The import page says in the upper right corner: "Destination folder", and I have to decide the destination for the import. If the images are duplicated, I am afraid my hard drive will be filled up too soon! Or have I misunderstood the whole thing? :eek:

You don't want to reimport them. Also creating separate catalogues defeats the purpose of cataloging. Create separate folders and/or include key wording, collections, etc. You can create master grand kids/nature folders then using LR drag the subfolders into the masters. After you import new flies just drag that folder into the appropriate master folder.

I like using the folder system and others use only key wording. There are several ways to do this.

You don't want to reimport them. Also creating separate catalogues defeats the purpose of cataloging. Create separate folders and/or include key wording, collections, etc. You can create master grand kids/nature folders then using LR drag the subfolders into the masters. After you import new flies just drag that folder into the appropriate master folder.

I like using the folder system and others use only key wording. There are several ways to do this.
Thank you for your informative reply! I just wonder, can a single catalog contain unlimited images?

Because a catalogue is just a database (text only) which is a record of your adjustments. It has nothing to do with actual files themselves. You can use other developers and it won't effect LR's edits. As long as the catalogue knows where the files are all is good.

I have been using LR since 2011 and my catalogue is less than 1000MB. It has been reported that there are catalogues with over a million files.

Or for better words catalogues that contain records of adjustments for over a million files.

It's hard enough managing photos when they're catalogued in one place, and I wouldn't recommend fragmenting control into multiple catalogues.

Also imagine the complexities when there's a nature picture - but one of the grandchildren is in the picture. Which catalogue? Keywording eliminates this problem.

I have a main Lightroom Catalog which includes 85000 images(!)
No doubt the exclamation mark means that you think that this is a huge catalog, and so a split is needed/logical. It is not. It is a medium sized catalog and there is no need at all to split it. My own catalog is about 200,000 images and I know photographers who have catalogs with well over a million images.

The person must wear down a lot of cameras.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back