• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Lightroom crashing while exporting

Status
Not open for further replies.

d.marquezfotos

Marquez
Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Classic 9
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.15 Catalina
Hello!
I’m experiencing Lightroom crashes while exporting. Any fixes or solutions? Develop module and everything works fine. However when I export...the application stops responding. Therefore I have to force close. THEN, I go to re open Lightroom and it won’t open. The icon just hops in place. So I have to restart my Mac then Lightroom will open again. I’m a wedding photographer in the middle of the busiest season so this the worst thing. I can’t export and it’s like my photos are being held hostage!! Any fixes?! I’ve contacted adobe and they supposedly do a fix but it just keeps happening. I also uninstalled and re installed. Same crash while exporting happens. I’m on Lightroom classic 9, MacBook Pro 16GB Ram, Catalina 10.15.1. Please help! And thank you in advance!

Catalina and LR9 do not play well together. Folks are impatiently waiting for Adobe and Apple to figure out the (many) issues and get both their products fixed. In the mean time, some people have had success falling back to LR 8.4.1 on Catalina and other have had success falling back to Mojave with LR9 - or both.

Seconding Dan's advice. The preferred solution is to Roll Back MacOS to 10.14.x I've seen no problems with LR Classic v9 on 10.14.6
Another area to explore. The Lightroom Export process requires lots of free space on the primary drive. I recommend at least 100GB free on "MacIntosh HD". If you have less that that, LR may be freezing trying to create temporary staging file for export. Try exporting only one file to see if you can succeed there , If you do you can then increase the number of files in the export process until you reach some critical fail point.
Something to consider with Catalina is the changes made by Apple in file security. Since I haven't upgraded to Catalina I can't address that. But it could be that Apple is preventing LR access to the files and folders it need to manage an export.

Hello everyone, I’m new to the forum but was searching online as I have the exact same problem as above. Unfortunately I didn’t make a backup of my catalog before (and hadn’t done Time Machine backups this year because I apparently forgot it was something I used to do!) so when I rolled back to 8.4.1 the catalog was “too new” to open. Is there any way of getting the catalog to work or have I basically lost that data until V9 works with Catalina again?

Hi nzfilmgirl, this is an old thread, the current versions of Lightroom Classic work fine with Catalina. What problem are you having?

Hi Victoria

Ah - I was having the same problem as the old thread - freezing (technically not crashing just getting stuck) while exporting, and then having to force close LR, and when trying to reopen it, the icon would just bounce and I’d have to force reset the whole MacBook as it wouldn’t even properly shut down. I could sometimes export 5-8 images at a time, but rarely more than that before it would freeze.

I’ve just spent half the day reverting back to Mojave and reinstalling everything, so now that I have proper back ups (never going without those again), it wouldn’t be so bad to try Catalina again although it does make me a little nervous after all the mucking around!

I have proper back ups (never going without those again), it wouldn’t be so bad to try Catalina again although it does make me a little nervous after all the mucking around!
in Converting to v9, Lightroom left your old v8 catalog So all you had to do when you reverted was open the old v8 catalog instead of the v9 copy.
I I’ve been running Catalina and LR V9 since 10.15.2 and LR 9.1

Make sure you have enough free space on your primary disk for the temp file LR creates during export. Then update you OS to the latest release of Catalina. Then upgrade Lightroom Classic to the latest release of V9.

I think I did something silly and lost the old catalog of V8, not quite sure how I managed that. I’m running V9 on Sierra but will try the update again now that I have more free space on my hard drive again (and safe backups!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back