• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

How to enlarge size of circle dot for Star ratings in grid view

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stumped

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Classic 9.0
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.13 High Sierra
So im in grid view and I like to use the mouse and click on the circles to get the star ratings.... Is there anyway to make the circle a larger size? If the cursor isn't on the dot exactly, hard bc of the small size, it highlights the selection then I have to click again instead of being able to hit the circle once on the rating.... Tks

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-11-11 at 3.15.24 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-11-11 at 3.15.24 PM.png
    52.6 KB · Views: 125
I'm pretty sure you're stuck with that size. You could select an image and hit a numeric key: 0 = no stars; 1= one star; etc.

I can't make my screen Look like yours. I am running Mojave. AFAIK, there is no way to change the size of the dots Even changing the font size in preferences does not affect these. Still at the smallest thumbnail size I don't have much of a problem clicking on the star indicators in grid view to get the number of stars that I want . Another way to set the Star ratings is to click on the number of stars on the Toolbar for the selected image. It is a bigger target. FWIW Only see the star indicator dots when I do a Mouse over.
1573509870674.png

ok, I remember seeing something like hollow stars before. But now all I see are the little circles. when I click on one, it changes into a star. Under view, I click hide/show toolbar and the workspace blinks, I dont see any change..... I did find the option to make the circles constant in disabling hover over with mouse and it does seem to make it a little easier to hit while being visible.

There are two viewing modes for cells in the grid view: Compact Cells, and Expanded Cells. It looks as though you are using the Compact option. If you change to Expanded, the space allocated to the Rating stars is increased, which will make them easier to hit with your cursor.

To cycle between viewing modes, hit the "J" key.

To set the options for the viewing modes, hit Control/Command-J. In the option-setting panel you will have to select "Show Rating Footer" to have it show up in Expanded mode.

There are two viewing modes for cells in the grid view: Compact Cells, and Expanded Cells. It looks as though you are using the Compact option. If you change to Expanded, the space allocated to the Rating stars is increased, which will make them easier to hit with your cursor.

To cycle between viewing modes, hit the "J" key.

To set the options for the viewing modes, hit Control/Command-J. In the option-setting panel you will have to select "Show Rating Footer" to have it show up in Expanded mode.
so I figured out the expanded mode. I think it helps. just to clarify - I should see circles or dots before I click and they turn to stars, right? I seem to remember empty stars before clicking and then they turned to filled in. Maybe another program though.... See pic below. Which is expanded mode too.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-11-12 at 9.43.27 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-11-12 at 9.43.27 PM.png
    64.9 KB · Views: 149
I’m stumped that you still insist in clicking small dots to set the rating. What is easier than pressing the ‘5’ key to rate an image five stars? And which keyboard shortcut is easier to remember? I never use the mouse to rate an image.

I’m stumped that you still insist in clicking small dots to set the rating. What is easier than pressing the ‘5’ key to rate an image five stars? And which keyboard shortcut is easier to remember? I never use the mouse to rate an image.
Not sure what you mean? I do both. Is that ok? Also, unless there is a shortcut I dont know, which there is most likely as iim a new user and dont know it all, its easier for me to use the mouse as I can more around faster to each grid. When I use the number system as you mention, I then have to click on the next frame to make it active before my number selection is applied.

But, like I said, there is most likely a short cut that I can use that will accept the number and move to the next grid..... Its hard to remember all the shortcuts when I dont use the program daily and ive not yet gotten a list of the shortcuts.

Of course it's OK to use both. Do as you like. You can go through the grid using the arrow keys and then apply your ratings using the number keys. To make that go even faster, select 'Photo - Auto Advance'. That will automatically select the next photo after you rated a photo.

I seem to remember empty stars before clicking and then they turned to filled in.
Gray Stars are on the toolbar. If you want to assign some number of ★s to one or more selected images, then the toolbar is one way to achieve your task.
the modern GUI window interface has multiple methods to achieve the same task. In this instance (★s), at least 5 methods come to mind.
  • The oldest is to click on the "Set Rating" submenu item of {Photo{ in the Library Menu
  • Click on the ★ indicator in the Grid view (Your preferred method)
  • Click on the ☆☆☆☆☆ button on the Toolbar
  • Right Click on the image in the grid to open the Context menu and choose "Set Rating" submenu item.
  • Use a shortcut key from the keyboard. The numeric keys: 0,1,2,3,4,5 assign the corresponding number of ★s to the image ( keys number 6-9 assign one of 4 color labels)
There is "more than one way to skin a cat". Choose the method that is most efficient for you. And if hardware (screen resolution) make your preferred method, look for a more efficient method.

Tks Clee & Johan - i found the option for putting the stars back in the tool bar - i think thats where ive seen them before. Also on the auto advance method - works good. Now if ii can remember it all..... :whistling:

And not to be forgotten- The Painter Tool.
Set it to 'paint' a Star Rating, then one click (a squirt) on any image in the Grid adds the set Star Rating.
You can change the Star Rating 'Stars' while the Painter Tool is active.
Remember to put the Spray Can back on the Tool Bar when finished rating.

ScreenShot545.jpg
ScreenShot546.jpg
ScreenShot547.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back