Rwentzel

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I backup my LR Catalog and images at least twice a month to two alternate external hard drives.
I use Collections extensively.
Are my Collections backed up with my Catalog ?
Thanks.

Collections are basically a series of links to various photos and are held in the catalog so yes. But not the photos in the collection (or any in face in Lightroom), they have to be backed up separately. I appreciate you probably know that but include the comment for the benefit of others reading. Here's a blog explaining what to backup:

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/backup-lightroom-files/

Hi, All the info. on LR Backups seems to mention 'Templates' and 'Pre-sets', but without mentioning by name 'Collections'. So - put as simply as I can?
If I 'Backup' my Catalog, AND the images, SEPARATELY to another drive/location, with the same the Original File Folder structure of Images, does the LR 'Backup' restore the LR Collections and Smart Collections if using that separate drive/location, if necessary?
Cheers, Geoffrey

Hi Geoffrey

Welcome to the Forums!

If the images are in a different location then you'll have to tell LR where they are. But Collections will remain intact and there once LR knows where the images are.

I have reformatted my hard drive and reloaded Lightroom. All my images are back on my hard drive. Have restored my catalogue to LR and all is good. However I cannot find my collections. Where are they and how do I restore them. Thanks.

Could you have hidden their display? Try right-clicking on a header on the left side of the Library module and choosing Show All.
View attachment 13134

Can you post a screenshot of the left panel (where the collections block should be)?

Have restored my catalogue to LR and all is good. However I cannot find my collections. Where are they and how do I restore them. Thanks.

Can you explain exactly how you restored the catalog? Did you simply restore a copy of the catalog from a backup, or did you create a new catalog and re-import all your images?

I was going to ask the same thing. :)

Johan & Hal,
Prior to reformatting my internal hard drive I backed up my Catalog as I do every 2 weeks. It was saved to an external hard drive.
I have now reloaded LR6.14 and copied all my photos from my usual back up place and they are now all there and all in order.
For the Catalog I went to " Open Catalog " and opened this folder.

Just to make sure: you didn't re-import your images into a fresh catalogue? If you had, that would totally explain what you're seeing. You can optionally save metadata and edits into your images, but Collections are only in the catalogue, and they will certainly be in the catalogue backup.

If you opened your catalogue backup, I can't explain what made your collections disappear.

Hi
I too had a query regarding the Back up of collections.
Or perhaps more correctly the backing up of the location images that previously you have identified as being a 'set' of images (a single image may be in a number of collections!)
In searching I came across this article giving the virtues of using 'Keywords'.
I do use Keywords, much as the author advocates - gives food for thought?
Metadata (which includes 'Keywords', is easily saved with your backed up original duplicates)

https://williambeem.com/never-create-lightroom-cc-collections-again/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back