• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

LR crashing on import

Status
Not open for further replies.

deekay2308

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic version: 8.4
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.14 Mojave
LR is crashing on image import, repeatedly and on occasion is crashing the computer itself. I am using a new iMac but it was working ok before; I can't remember if I tweaked any LR settings though, in the interim. Any suggestions for trouble-shooting?
Screen Shot 2019-09-21 at 3.49.07 PM.png

Couple of things:
1. Turn GPU to OFF - see if that helps or not (it eliminates it being GPU, I'd be surprised if it is but worth trying)
2. Are you on the very latest release (Classic 8.4.1)?

Couple of things:
1. Turn GPU to OFF - see if that helps or not (it eliminates it being GPU, I'd be surprised if it is but worth trying)
2. Are you on the very latest release (Classic 8.4.1)?

Thanks Paul. I upgraded from 8.4 to 8.4.1 and I turned the GPU off. I then imported 30+ very large files and there was no crash.

I suppose what I have to do now is turn the GPU back on and do another import...

LR is still crashing, not only on import, but just with editing.
I did add my own (OWC) RAM to the iMac but have not had any other issues with any other program etc.

LR is still crashing, not only on import, but just with editing.
I did add my own (OWC) RAM to the iMac but have not had any other issues with any other program etc.
Is that after you re-enabled the GPU in Preferences? If so, do you have it set to "Custom" or "Auto"?

If the crash sometimes takes the computer with it, you have either a hardware problem or a faulty driver of some sort.

Here's an article that has a section on testing your memory using the built-in diagnostics:
https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/check-memory-mac/

Just reviving this thread from a few weeks back to see whether anyone has any further input. LR is still crashing randomly - either while importing or editing. Most often it takes the computer down too; this happens with no other software - only LR. I have followed all suggestions to no avail. Also trashed the preferences file.

I'd recommend taking your computer to Apple and have them check it over. Like I said in an earlier post, if your whole computer is crashing, you have a hardware problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back