• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Exported photos OOF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chessman

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
6.x
Lightroom Version Number
Lr Classic
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.13 High Sierra
Hi..last time I was asking a question in this forum it was a problem with my Lr6.14 standalone and ON1. many editing problems. Despite suggested solutions I wasn't able to resolve the issue because the fault lay with ON1. A friend was having the same issues . Fair play to ON1 we both received a full refund for the Raw 2019 version. I seem to be plagued with problems not only with photo editing but my 11 month old 27" iMac had to have a new power supply unit then photos and screen grabs put into Emails showed the top half of the photo and the rest of the full width photo down to the bottom thousands of very fine coloured lines..like arty wallpapewr. Text in screen grabs looked like it would if looking at it in a convex mirror..distorted. It took Apple several efforts over a few weeks to sort it including taking remote control of my iMac. That's been sorted now.

With Lr4 I used Elements11 for cloning and selective sharpening (usually birds) and NIK (as was) Define2 for NR. It worked very well for years until I got the new iMac at which point Elements 11 and Define2 could not be read/recognised by it. I don't do a massive amount of photography..steam locos,birds,miltary and commercial aircraft as and when and the usual holiday photos so I went for ON1 which was not a success as outlined above. I decided to sign up to subscription Lr Classic (July 30th )and now I have a new issue..

Prior to the current problem I've posted my steam loco photos in a couple of forums and sent them by Email to friends. These were at approximately 400-450Kb. The loco number on the boiler front was always sharp as was the one on the cab and the nameplate on the side of the boiler. This is no longer the case. At full size the photos are pin/tack sharp but not after compression to be able to post in a forum or included in an Email. I asked my friend, who also has Lr Classic and suggested I get it to resolve the above issues, if he was having the same issue with his photos..not steam locos ..and he does. I did a test with a steam loco re compression starting at Quality 100 - 90 - 75 - 50 - 30 -10. All turned out with exactly the same issue.

I've ticked the box for iMac High Sierra 10.13 but it's now 10.14.6 which isn't an option in the tick boxes here. I shoot in RAW. When I come to export a photo so I can post in a forum or Email it I select Jpeg and sRGB in the File Setting box. In the Quality box I select 80 - 90 The 'Limit file size box' is left unticked as is 'Don't Enlarge' I've tried 'Output sharpen for screen'..to no avail

For Image sizing I tick 'Resize to fit' and Long Edge 1200. I used to go for 'width/height 1000 x 1000. Infact I've just done that now and got an Email up and selected it from my Finder folder after expoprt and have the same result. I can't read the name of the loco and the boiler front number isn't sharp..so the issue remains the same. I've taken several loco photos over the past month and because of this issue haven't posted any, apart from two to ask in the forum if anyone knows why it's happening. There were no responses.Regarding sharpness quality of photos forums are unforgiving places.

The best example of the problem is with the maroon (British Rail Crimson Lake) Duchess of Sutherland. The first photo is Clun Castle. At full size both these photos are pin sharp. and the names can easily be read. Clun Castle , the first one..is in Finder at 703KB..The Duchess 635KB. Just to give a different subject I've just added a Rock Pipet bird. It's 361Kb. It should be sharper. I sharpened it in Lr Classic (Detail)

This problem has put a real damper on my enthusiasm for photographing steam locos but I still get out there to get the shots in the hope that this issue will eventually be resolved, otherwise I'm going to need councelling..lol.

703Kb
1. 100% (1 of 1).jpg

635Kb
35 (35 of 1).jpg

361Kb
34 (34 of 1).jpg

Do the" OOF" exported versions look that way in a web browser…and only a web browser?
And if you open them in a regular pixel-based image editor like Photoshop, Affinity Photo, etc. do the same exported images look perfectly sharp but only about half as big as they are in a web browser?

Are you using Mac/Apple Mail to send your photos? If, so Mac Mail May also be applying additional compression, thus severely reducing image quality.

Do the" OOF" exported versions look that way in a web browser…and only a web browser?
And if you open them in a regular pixel-based image editor like Photoshop, Affinity Photo, etc. do the same exported images look perfectly sharp but only about half as big as they are in a web browser?
Hi..Apologies for delay.

The pohotos are sharp right the way through from Lr Classic to PS and back. The problem only manifested itself after export but the previous advice re increasing Long Edge and reducing Quality if too large have produced good results at 833 Kb and all is sharp. I can read the nameplate . I'll try reducing the Long Edge bit by bit and see what that does.
Thanks.

Are you using Mac/Apple Mail to send your photos? If, so Mac Mail May also be applying additional compression, thus severely reducing image quality.

Hi Jeff. Yes..I only use my Mac Mail..I was unaware that it could add even more compression. Infact, now you mention it when I've sent as friend a full size it's tack sharp every time but at full size an amount of mail compression might not be noticeable.That can be anything from 5MB to 13Mb. There's no problem with full size exporting into my Finder folder either. The problem has definitely been on the Export page of my Lightroom but why now remains a mystery. At the start of this thread I mentioned that this problem didn't exist with Lr4 nor Lr6.14 (Standalone)...it's just appeared with Lr Classic. As mentioned, it seems to have been sorted now.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back