• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

LR Classic 8.4 won't start - running at 100% CPU (MacOS 10.13)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JonFordUK

Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic 8.4
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.13 High Sierra
Can anyone advise please: I updated to 8.4 the other day, but today was the first time I had got to launching it. The splash screen pops up, but then it just sits at 100% CPU (Not Responding) for a very long time - until I kill it.

I panicked at first, but thank you Victoria for your "downgrade" article. I returned to 8.3 and that still works. I have now upgraded again - and same issue.

Now, I do have an ageing MacBook Pro - Late 2011 edition. OS is 10.13.6

Maybe it's an issue with the GPUs - - AMD Radeon HD 6770M - and Intel HD Graphics 3000. But I did not have GPU graphics options turned on in LR - surely it should just fail, or ignore these GPUs, if they are not compatible?

When LR first starts, it is very resource intensive. You need a lot of free space on the primary disk drive (100GB is a ballpark number) and lots of file handles. How much is available for temporary files and Swap file?
One other recommendation would be to upgrade the OS to 10.14.6

100GB?! I'm not sure if this is an accurate statement. Anyway, I think I read in some other posts / forums that the latest update doesn't perform well on macOS. So, one option would be to temporarily roll back to the previous Lightroom version. Apparently, Adobe is already aware of the issues.

OK - so.... I left it running for about 4 hours, during which it used over 1hr of CPU time: it did slow down eventually, but still unresponsive.

I have nearly 200 GB available on the home disk; but I cannot upgrade to 10.14 because the machine is not supported by Apple for that version :-(

I guess I'll have to downgrade LR and hope for a working update in the future. Maybe time to look at migrating to alternatives.

Lr Classic 8.4 on top of Mojave 10.14.6 runs just fine on my iMac. A few weeks ago I did a complete reinstall of the OS because I had not done so in years of upgrades. No problems at all.

100GB?! I'm not sure if this is an accurate statement. Anyway, I think I read in some other posts / forums that the latest update doesn't perform well on macOS. So, one option would be to temporarily roll back to the previous Lightroom version. Apparently, Adobe is already aware of the issues.
I said it is a ballpark number. 20% of a 500GB SSD is 100GB. Problems start to develop when you get tight on the free space. There is no magic number.

LR 8.4 is running fine with me on 10.14.6. Apple has just tweaked 10.4.6 with a corrections (Check for MacOS updates) that does help at least some of the issues that LR users have experienced.

I guess I'll have to downgrade LR and hope for a working update in the future. Maybe time to look at migrating to alternatives.
I think the future of LR is going to lock out older hardware just as Apple has done with OS upgrades. Your MBP is after all 8+ years old. My late 2012 runs 10.14 and LR 8.4 slow but fine. I can see that it has reached EoL too.

It might not be that Mac model or that system version. I have a Late 2011 MacBook Pro on 10.13.6, and a little while ago I was able to run Lightroom 8.4 without any unusual delays. Further troubleshooting may be needed, like trying it with reset preferences or a different catalog.

I haven't tried that lately, since for production I'm running Lightroom 8.4 on a much newer Mac under 10.14.6.

Update: Booted up the ol' Late 2011 with macOS 10.3.6, and tried it again with Lightroom 8.4. From the time I launched Lightroom, it was about 15 seconds until the application was up and the catalog was loaded and ready to use. Note that my Late 2011 MacBook Pro has been upgraded with an SSD and 16GB RAM, so results may be slower with less RAM or using a hard drive. But it still shouldn't hang. Something else is going on with your Mac. Maybe try starting Lightroom 8.4 under a different user and see if it still hangs there?

My guess is also that your computer is reaching the end of its useful life - at least as far as LR use. While my main computer is a late model MacBook Pro, my backup 2011 iMac will chug along slowly, but work OK unless a file is something like a 50MB RAW; I replaced the drive with a 1 TB SSD and maxed out the memory (either 16 or 32 GB). It also will not run the latest Mac OS.

Update: Booted up the ol' Late 2011 with macOS 10.3.6, and tried it again with Lightroom 8.4. From the time I launched Lightroom, it was about 15 seconds until the application was up and the catalog was loaded and ready to use. Note that my Late 2011 MacBook Pro has been upgraded with an SSD and 16GB RAM, so results may be slower with less RAM or using a hard drive. But it still shouldn't hang. Something else is going on with your Mac. Maybe try starting Lightroom 8.4 under a different user and see if it still hangs there?
OK - that's interesting. Makes me wonder if it is something to do with the catalog

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back