• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Are you using the cloud-based Lightroom apps for iOS, Android, Windows, Mac, and Web? Then you'll love my book, Adobe Lightroom - Edit on the Go!

You'll learn how to use the Lightroom cloud ecosystem to organize, edit and share your photos. You'll also come to understand the thought processes used by professional photographers when they're editing their own photos, so you can transform your photos quickly and easily. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Smartworkflow and keyword hierarchy

Status
Not open for further replies.

tspear

Premium Cloud Member
Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
Short version:
The two largest gaps for me are workflow and keyword hierarchy. Has anyone found a way around these limitations?

Long Version:
I have played around some with LightRoom CC. I find the editing capabilities not as good, and actually tougher to use. However, they do not require a lot of new features before they catch up to my level of skill. The reason I am considering switching is because we have started to travel more, and at the same time I am always very busy at home. Which means it can take weeks/months before I finish editing images from a trip while I have a few times made a small travel catalog and edited on the trip.; they are done a lot earlier. Likely because there are fewer projects around the house/work which get in the way!
Anyway, after playing around with CC, I find the lack of a way to implement a workflow and keyword hierarchy basically deal killers. Has anyone else found a way around these issues?

For workflow collections, you can just use a folder with normal collections and manually move them from album to album. I suspect it won't be too long before we have something like smart collections, based on the work they've been doing with search facets, but we'll see... For keyword hierarchy, how much keywording do you actually bother to do? I thought I'd miss it, but it turns out I don't really.

I feel Victoria's expressing a rather optimistic view that I do not share. Search facets show progress, at least if you're online, but there are fewer metadata fields to search, and whenever comparable features are eventually implemented they are weaker than those in classic Lightroom.

I feel Victoria's expressing a rather optimistic view that I do not share. Search facets show progress, at least if you're online, but there are fewer metadata fields to search, and whenever comparable features are eventually implemented they are weaker than those in classic Lightroom.
Rome wasn't built in a day, and neither will Lightroom cloudy. We can probably expect to see a build-out of cloudy features in the next few years, at which time I will try it out. In the meantime, I'm standing 100% with tspear.

For workflow collections, you can just use a folder with normal collections and manually move them from album to album. I suspect it won't be too long before we have something like smart collections, based on the work they've been doing with search facets, but we'll see... For keyword hierarchy, how much keywording do you actually bother to do? I thought I'd miss it, but it turns out I don't really.

Actually, I have found the keywords I use very useful. I get requests mostly from family for custom selection sets of images that I build based on the keywords. I am in the process now of planning multiple digital frames where I plan to script changing the images based on using keyword filters.

If I ditch keywords, I may as well go back to managing images by folders. And then what is the point of Lr?

I still add keywords, I'm just not worrying about the hierarchy. For a slightly OCD person, it didn't bother me as much as I thought it would!

I still add keywords, I'm just not worrying about the hierarchy. For a slightly OCD person, it didn't bother me as much as I thought it would!

Ah, ok, that makes sense!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back