• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Recovering LR Classic folders and collections from Carbon Copy Cloner backup

Status
Not open for further replies.

fbx33

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic version: 8.3.1 [ 201905241238-dcd7e2de ]
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.14 Mojave
For reasons to dumb to list, I deleted my LR entirely, including the Mac folder with all 28K pix.

Fortunately, I have a coupe of recent backups, most recent done with CCC on the Mac to an external SSD.

I have subsequently reinstalled Adobe Creative Cloud, and from there my copy of LR Classic.

Now, how do I import the backup of all folders and collections from the backup copy of my HD?

I tried just importing all pictures, but that only brought the pictures back, not the folders they were in, nor the Collections they were in.

Any ideas how to get this done bring the whole setup back to what it was before I deleted it?

Thx

Hi,

Besides restoring your image files as you have done you also need to restore the Lightroom catalog file. This is where all your collection information is stored as well as develop settings and any other metadata applied to your images.

By default this is stored in folder, "Lightroom Catalog" in your user Pictures Folder and the name of the catalog file is Lightroom Catalog.lrcat.

There are also several other files in that folder that are highly useful but not mandatory to get running again

Lightroom Catalog Previews.lrdata
Lightroom Catalog Smart Previews.lrdata
Lightroom Catalog Helper.lrdata
(only if you have created smart previewsl)

Restore these files and you should get all your data back up to the time when the backup was created. If you restored your image files in exactly the same location as they orginally were stored it is likely that you can simply double click the catalog file to launch Lightroom. If the path is not exactly the same then you may have to point your catalog to the modified location.

As an ever better way to protect yourself from accidental problems in the future I highly suggest that you invest in an additional hard drive and turn on Time Machine backups.

-louie

Hi,

Besides restoring your image files as you have done you also need to restore the Lightroom catalog file. This is where all your collection information is stored as well as develop settings and any other metadata applied to your images.

By default this is stored in folder, "Lightroom Catalog" in your user Pictures Folder and the name of the catalog file is Lightroom Catalog.lrcat.

There are also several other files in that folder that are highly useful but not mandatory to get running again

Lightroom Catalog Previews.lrdata
Lightroom Catalog Helper.lrdata
(only if you have created smart previewsl)

Restore these files and you should get all your data back up to the time when the backup was created. If you restored your image files in exactly the same location as they orginally were stored it is likely that you can simply double click the catalog file to launch Lightroom. If the path is not exactly the same then you may have to point your catalog to the modified location.

As an ever better way to protect yourself from accidental problems in the future I highly suggest that you invest in an additional hard drive and turn on Time Machine backups.

-louie
Thanks. In the end I just covered my whole drive from a CCC backup & that worked fine. But I appreciate the reply.

That is good news.

Is there any reason why you are not using Time Machine? For system wide backups I find it is the most convenient. I also use CCC but it is mostly use to make backup boot drives.

Using this combination I was once able to restore my system from a complete meltdown of my system SSD in about 30 minutes. I simply booted from my latest CCC clone and then restored from TimeMachine. This updated the clone to the last TM backup which happened to be only 10 minutes before the SSD died. I could of course restored the entire drive from TM but that would have taken several hours.

-louie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back